Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

hey its cheergrl again and some kids at school are just acting mean bout my brace, people call me brace back.i really need some advice about all of this please, please, please help me some kids just dont get it so please i need someone who really understands.so please reply ASAP!!!!

P.s....help im so

Cheergrl:

Please talk to your parents about this right away. This must be very upsetting for you. I really hope your parents will try to help you work this out at school with the teachers and the school principal.

Have you heard of the Spinekids website at:

http://www.spinekids.com/messages.shtml

There are lots of kids on this website who are wearing a brace and have experienced teasing at school. Sometimes it just helps to know you aren't the only one wearing a brace.

Try not to let these rude kids bother you too much - you are doing a good thing wearing your brace.

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Cheergrl ~

Yes, agree with Ruth !00%

Time to talk to your parents. And the website Ruth left you is excellent resource. As an adult brace wearer, just wanted to stop by and support you, Ruth's advice ... very wise. You are doing a good thing.

Comment

thanks

thank you for all the tips and please try to keep in touch with me because im going through a hard time

thxs,
        cheergrl

Comment

We are in the same boat!

Hi cheergrl i know how you feel a kid at school says hows that problem when you lay down on your back. seeif i lay down on my back in my brace i can't get up. some times i just ignore him or tell him to knock it off.

Comment

I can't say that anyone has ever made fun of me for wearing a brace. That's because nobody knows except for five of my close friends. And they don't even give a darn.

But if this is happening to you, the bullying etc., don't just let it slide. The kids who make fun of you are insecure or are just trying to impress other people. Not one of them has as much willpower as you or understands you at all. If you consider yourself friends with anyone who treats you like this, don't be. They're not worth it. And in order to deal with people who treat you unkindly, you have to let it not get to you. You have to stand up for yourself. And if it gets out of hand, you need to talk to somebody. Make these kids jealous. You have something they don't have, which makes you unique. The brace doesn't define you, but it is a part of your life now. Anyone who can't respect that isn't worth your time. Anyone who understands that scoliosis isn't your fault, should know better than to make fun of you to feel better about themselves. Next time someone says something to you that you find offensive, look them dead in the eye and say as straight forwardly as you can, "grow up."

I wish you so much luck. It's hard enough having scoliosis. It's hard enough having a back brace. I can't imagine also dealing with the ignorance and immaturity of a bunch of whiney school kids. Don't let it get to you. This won't last forever.

Stephanie. Fifteen.
            Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
            2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
            1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
            Curves are reversing in my brace!
            Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
            and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
            2 Halves.
            1 body.
            A curve.
            So what?
            Mistakes.
            They lie.
            Within.
            My spine.