Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending Xrays

Hi everyone --

I will be having my bending xrays on Monday afternoon and I got to thinking that it would be nice to know what to expect. My doctor has said the result of these xrays will tell him what kind of surgery(s) he will need to perform so as that day approaches questions are popping into my mind.

For those of you who have been through it, please tell me:
    How many different xrays were taken?
    Which ways did you bend (right, left, forward, backward)?
    Where you lying down or standing or both?
    Anything else that would be helpful?
    After you had your bending xrays done, did you sit down right then and discuss them with the doc or did you have to go back later to discuss them?

Regards to all
    Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

I had an appointment with my surgeon specifically to have bending film taken. I had to lie on a table and bend to the right and then to the left. Nothing to it. At that time no x-rays were taken of me standing; and I never had to bend forward or backward. My surgeon then discussed with me his interpretation of the film. My bending film revealed that I had a fairly stiff spine.

Comment

My experience was just like Chris'.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had to bend in all directions when I had my bending x-rays, lying for some and standing for some. Exact number of xrays, I don't remember. It was somewhat painful but not horrible. I had a CT myelogram the same time and did not see my surgeon that day. I had to spend four hours in the hospital under observation because of the injected dye. All of this was discussed the time I saw my Doctor a few days before my surgery.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Mine were all standing, first bending to the right and then to the left. I spoke to the Dr. about them immediately following.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your responses
            It's so wonderful to have such support. What a great community feeling !

It is also interesting how many different kinds of experiences people have.

Wish me luck. The doctor recommended that I stretch to become more flexible. I've been stretching a lot and hope that will make it easier for the doc to correct my curves. He said if I am more flexible, he would be able to get better correction. Time will tell.

Sheri
            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
            Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
            X