Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting with Surgeon & Tentative Date

Hi All

After four years and progressively more pain, I met with my surgeon two weeks ago (Dr. William Lauerman at Georgetown University Hospital in DC). In 2005 he had told me that I was close to needing scoliosis surgery of the lumbar variety. Between then and now, my Cobb angle has increased from 40% to 55%. Although there are more severe curves out there, I'm in pain anytime I walk more than a few yards because the increasing lumbar curve is making my already severe arthritis and stenosis worse. So, I am headed for anterior/posterior surgery

RECOMMENDATION: I highly recommend to other people who try to set up an appointment with a surgeon yourself, have your consulting physician call for you. It works! My initial appointment was on May 26. By being a pest every Monday morning, I was able to get it moved to May 15. But that was it. So, I asked my consulting doctor to call and I got my appointment moved to April 14!

SURGERY DATE: Tentatively scheduled for August 24 (pending the confirmation of the surgery team vacation schedules).

Be back soon.

Karen
    Last edited by lumbar3491; 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM.
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Working...
X