Getting a brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a brace

i might have to get a brace for my back, and im really worried...any advice?

My daughter has worn a brace for 14 months at night. It seems to have been quite successful even though the doctor had said she would probably progress to surgery. Make sure you wear the brace as your doctor and your orthotist advise you too. Don't let prior comments in this forum get you down, it seems to be quite anti-bracing around here. Used properly, braces can be effective for lots of people...so cheer up, chin up...I wish you the best of luck in getting a good brace for your situation.

Comment

Hey! Getting a brace seems extremely bad when you are first told you need one, but it really isn't so terrible. I've had mine for one month and one day, and it has been one heck of a ride. I never, ever thought I would get used to it, never thought the pain would go away, and I thought everyone would notice. I did get used to it, it never hurts anymore, and no one can tell!
      As a kid, I would really reccomend bracing. I've only had it for a month and already my curves have gone from 28, 22, and 16 degrees, to 10, 12, and 12 degrees! I was so excited when I heard this news, and my doctor and orthosist think I'm doing wonderfully. Just take your doctor's word for it, because he/she knows best. And don't worry about it being bulky and noticable because the only one that is is the Milwaukee which is hardly ever used.

One more piece of advice: if you haven't read up on bracing, I reccomend you do on this website: http://www.spinekids.com/bracing.shtml.
      Also, make an account on SpineKIDS. This forum has a lot of adults on it, but spinekids is almost all kids and it's really friendly and fun.

Don't worry about bracing. It's hard at first, but will pay off if you wear it as perscribed. Best of luck.

-Steph

Stephanie. Fifteen.
      Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
      2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
      1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
      Curves are reversing in my brace!
      Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
      and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
      2 Halves.
      1 body.
      A curve.
      So what?
      Mistakes.
      They lie.
      Within.
      My spine.
      I.
      Do not.
      Match up.
      Inside.
      And outside.
      I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

Samiro,

Hi and welcome! Have you looked at the SpineKids forum? It is a forum like this one, but it is geared towards kids and teens. Everyone is welcome here and several of us visit both sites for different reasons.

Good luck.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

You'll be fine!

let me give you some advice. i where a brace and it's not that bad! after a little while it becomes second nature. There are some days that if it's hot it gets sweaty, sticky, and hot. but it is fine

Comment

Working...
          X