No announcement yet.

Spinecor Brace for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey "Svetlana" ...i think you are pretty funny!

i have seen no statement anywhere on forum from any medical company stating that the forum is supported by such a company/companies...
    so, if that were true, i, and others on this forum, would be misled from the get go...
    what is your proof that these "medical companies" are supporting this forum...or is it just an assumption on your part...
    a little paranoid, maybe?

capitalism does not equate to deception...at least, not in my book...and i am a proud card carrying...passport carrying.... AMERICAN!
    All hail the red white and blue!

jess

Comment

jrnyc,

I don't have any proof, but let's try common sense... Who do you think would be aware of/interested in a non profit organization devoted entirely to scoliosis and bother to/have the funds to support it? It's possible that some of it is individuals who work in related fields or whose family has been affected by scoliosis, but if they have any larger contributors they would likely be medical companies. NSF doesn't list their sponsors, but SRS will give you a hint: http://www.srs.org/about/corporatepartners.php. And I don't feel deceived by it -- always consider the source.

btw, must you all pollute every thread with nonsense? I really don't understand why the name calling is tolerated.
      1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
      2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

WHAT name calling?!
        "paranoid" is name calling to you?

polluting a thread?
        are you serious..?
        there are some on this very thread, and i don't need to name names, who pollute every single thread with so much garbage, name calling and accusations, it is outrageous you could accuse me of that!
        they run in a little pack, a crowd...all together in their mutual beliefs and support system! most know who their "leader" is!

paranoia is a condition...not "name calling"

if the shoe fits...wear it!!

you seem to be quite accustomed to your own version of "common sense," which is nothing but accusations without any facts!
        your idea of "evidence" makes science look like a joke!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
          btw, must you all pollute every thread with nonsense? I really don't understand why the name calling is tolerated.
          It's a puzzle. Officially, courtesy is the rule and non-courteous posts will be deleted, but I've never seen such a thing happen.

"NSF - all the free-for-all of a political forum, all the vulnerability of a health forum"

Comment

i have sent the question of "support" by "medical device companies" to Linda Racine, with a request for clarification...

other than that, i am done engaging with this thread...
            i do not wish to engage with most of those here who are so full of "common sense" but no proof...of anything

jess

Comment

jrnyc, I'm sorry, my last post was not clear. The name calling comment was definitely not meant to be directed at you. That was meant for EVERYONE who does it, but I was not thinking of you when I wrote it. It was also a legitimate question for the moderator -- why is it tolerated?

you seem to be quite accustomed to your own version of "common sense," which is nothing but accusations without any facts! your idea of "evidence" makes science look like a joke!
              I didn't mention anything about evidence or science. My comment, which I think this is in response to, was really more about economics.
              2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

Comment

hi mehera
                all is fine...
                i just don't know if i would want to be part of a forum that is supported by "medical device companies"
                that is my question to Linda...that is what why i wrote to her privately...to seek an answer to that question...
                IF this forum is supported by medical companies with large financial interests, i would want to know about it!

otherwise, all is fine
                i wish no scoli person ever had to suffer with pain!

and i wish all a happy and healthy New Year

jess

Comment

jrnyc, I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear her reply if it seems appropriate to share. I know I am. It is concerning, but it might be an unavoidable reality. Even if the forum isn't supported directly, much of the research we rely on had to have been funded by somebody. Economics will always factor into the treatment options available to us, even under the most ethical circumstances.

And I agree no one should have to be in pain. Which is why it's so upsetting to see threads get derailed by a side argument (which I suppose I am guilty of doing now, out of frustration from seeing the same argument happening across three different threads). Valuable information gets buried. And feelings get hurt. No one needs to feel that they've made the wrong decision by a lay person they've never met. I think you said in an earlier post that you've never felt pressured by this forum, and I'm glad. Unfortunately I have and I don't think I'm alone.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                    "NSF - all the free-for-all of a political forum, all the vulnerability of a health forum"
                    HA! Love it!

Comment

Interesting. If anything, you might say this site was supported by the manufacturers of the Spinecor brace. That's much closer to the truth, as far as I know, than saying that device manufacturers support the NSF.

Do you like the iScoliosis site, Balletmom? I believe that site is 100% funded by a manufacturer.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                        I'm glad the bracing helped you mamamax. Amazingly enough, they used to use bracing for adults here in the US also. Apparently my grandfather's sister used a brace all the time as an adult because she was so curled up from scoliosis. Yes, my father's family has all the double-jointedness. Apparently we're all just too evolved to wear braces anymore.

I'm glad you were able to tell your story also, mamamax. It's really pretty amazing you were able to. Most of the people who are not cheerleaders for surgery have been driven off, even fireflymd. (I hope your daughter is doing well, if you are still reading, firefly.)

No doubt this site is supported by donations from medical device companies which would explain the pro-surgical slant.

Best of luck to you with Schroth, I am actually considering going with my daughter to Italy and ISICO and find out about SEAS exercises, in the meantime I'm going to show her how to do sideshift exercises. We'll see what happens.

Hugs to you mamamax. :-)
                        No doubt? None whatsoever?
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          No doubt? None whatsoever?
                          Oh please. Lay off me. Why do you think I would think that? Anybody who reads this site can figure out what's going on here. Look at the threads today. The fact that you don't try to control any of the abuse that is hurled by the surgical cheerleaders on this site to those trying to find other ways is evidence in itself.

If a brace manufacturer is the company supporting this site, they are saints. And I'm surprised they're still in business due to their lack of business acumen.

Comment

Interesting. If anything, you might say this site was supported by the manufacturers of the Spinecor brace. That's much closer to the truth, as far as I know, than saying that device manufacturers support the NSF.

Do you like the iScoliosis site, Balletmom? I believe that site is 100% funded by a manufacturer.
                            I just checked out the iScoliosis site, it's a site for young patients. It's what you'd read in a medical pamphlet. Not interested, sorry.

Comment

Are you able to share with us who the main supporters of NSF are? Do you have that information? Is it publicly available somewhere?

Comment

You might try writing to the foundation itself - NSF@scoliosis.org. Linda isn't a formal representative, I don't think. She just moderates the forum.

My sense is that the anti-non-surgery bent is purely social dynamics. I don't think it has anything to do with any deliberate attempt to guide the forum in a particular direction.

That doesn't make it any less striking or monolithic - it just means that it's not part of some master plan. It's just the way things happened to shake out, given the nature of the dominant participants.

Comment

Working...
                                X