1 month post-op appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 month post-op appt.

We just got back from her first post-op visit. She is doing fantastic.

We saw one doctor who was amazed at how good correction she got.

Then her regular doctor came in and he was really pleased too.

You would think they never saw a spine surgery that went so well. I know Carolyn can't be the only one that has done this good.

No roller coasters for her this summer. We knew that though. Also she has to be *really* careful with the sun with the scar. Only Tylenol is allowed vs. Advil (and the like). That pretty much sums up the appointment, with the same restrictions she has had until her 3 months is up. Only 2 more months of the no bending, twisting, lifting too much (she can lift up to 20 pounds max).

She will be going back to school April 27 -- Woo Hoo!!!!

They tried to do a before/after picture for us but the computer was not working properly. They got the after to come up but not the before so we will have to do that next time.

We spent more time talking to our favorite ladies in the GATE lab than the doctor. They put Carolyn's spiderman study up on the big monitor. It's pretty cool. You wouldn't know it was Carolyn though unless you knew it was her as it was just her computerized lines but it was cool.

Next time I go I'm going to take my camera & see if I can do a video of the screen. I'm not sure it will work or not but we figured we would give it a try.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Im go glad everything went well for her.....she has got to be thrilled...you too!! I will be glad (personally) when the no twisting/bending thing is lifted. Its SO hard to NOT do those things that you've done your entire life...let alone a young girl like herself! Again, Im so happy for her!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Most definitely about the twisting/lifting stuff. She tries to be good but she does forget because she is feeling fine type of thing. I get to be the old mean mom nag for that (I'm sure she will be glad to get back to school where I'm not always harrassing her).

If it HURT to do one of those moves then obviously, it would be easier to not do them but since she is basically painfree right now...it's hard to remember she is still restricted.

One thing that surprised us was that the doctor said she could wear heels now. No restriction on that at all. We only asked because she will be doing a pageant over Labor Day and we weren't sure if she would be allowed to wear heels with her formal wear or not by then. So, I asked and basically got a weird look & was told there was no problem with her wearing heels now. She can wear whatever she wants. That made Carolyn thrilled since I had been insistant on the fact that she needed flats for right now. She has a choir concert coming up mid May and I made her get flats for that because I didn't think she could be wearing heels by then.
      Becky
      Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
      Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Has it been a whole month already?
        I'm glad for her that she is doing so well and she will probably be thrilled to get back to school.
        I was always amazed at how quickly life returned back to normal after my son's surgery.
        take care
        Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

Working...
        X