65 and about to have 1st surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 and about to have 1st surgery!

Hello all! My mom has had back problems my entire life!
    She has Scoliosis and it started giving her problems in 78. Her curve is now at 70 degrees in her lower back. Her rib cage is now on her pelvic bone! The pain is now to where she can't take it.
    We meet for the 2nd time on Thursday with Dr Rick Davis at Vandy to discuss the surgery and set a date.
    Mom is very nervous about surgery, but knows this is her last opt to be able to stay mobile! She has no pain if she sits or lays, not much fun.
    Mom has never given into her back until the last 6 months.
    Any words of help? I am wanting to know what to expect with the surgery and after.
    Thanks everyone!!

Welcome hwald

Well, if she has a 70 down low, they will probably want to fuse down to the pelvis. Let us know what the Dr says.

There are lots of people that regain their lives in having these surgeries, and at her age and older.

Its no walk in the park, and it will be an 18-24 month recovery at age 65.

Its best to be aware of whats involved here. Keep reading and posting. Ask questions, no matter how silly they may seem.

Have the Doc burn a copy of the x-rays to disc for her records. Find out what levels they want to fuse.

Everyone is afraid of surgery, thats normal.

Im now pain free!
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi,

I saw your post and want to offer encouragement to your mom. I was where she is just a few years ago. I had a big curve primarily in my lumbar spine and my rib cage was resting on my pelvis. I was spending a lot of time lying down to relieve the pressure it was causing. My social life became non-existent. I had surgery last June at age 59 and I知 so grateful for the new lease on life it has given me. I was at a family gathering on Easter Sunday and my relatives could not get over how much improvement I have made since my surgery. While the surgery and initial recovery period were rough, I was blessed with a relatively smooth return to activity and have had no complications. I知 a patient person and just took one day at a time. I知 now working full time, socializing and making travel plans for this summer. While I don稚 ever foresee myself hitting the ski slopes like titaniumed, I知 just thrilled at the thought of doing any kind of traveling, something I could only dream about the last few years because increasing limitations caused by my progressive scoliosis was taking all the fun out of my life. You値l find a lot of inspiring posts from many here. Your mom is lucky to have a concerned daughter like you.

Chris

Comment

Welcome hwald,
        As you can see from my signature, I had my fusion surgery at age 67. I was in constant pain unless I wasn't doing anything. It was difficult just to get a meal on the table. Since my surgery, I still have pain issues but nothing like it was. At 10 months post-op, I was given the go ahead to go back to roller-skating. I can walk about two miles before my knees start complaining. I can do some gardening if I pace myself. Basically I have my life back. It has been a rough recovery and as titaniumed says, recovery can take two years for us older folks. It may even take longer in my case for the nerve pain to go away, if it ever does. Would I do it again, knowing now that I still have pain? In a heartbeat; because without the surgery, where would I be in two years? I would be in worse pain and sitting in a wheelchair without any chance of having a better life.

Tell your mom to try to keep her legs strong and her core muscles as strong as possible. Swimming is good for that and there are many exercises she can do at home to stay strong. It will help her in her recovery. She is very fortunate to have a daughter like you.

Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X