18 yr. old post surgery activity questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you,
    This is good information that his doctor would not have volunteered. It makes more sense to be aware and prepared if you ask me. Knowing how he will feel in the weeks afterward will help us try and think of ways to his return to school a little easier.

Originally posted by Job View Post
    To speak from experience, if you have the surgery in late June you will be more than ready to return to college in August. I had my surgery last summer on June 25th, and made my return to class by late August. I was 19 when I had the fusion done. In terms of actually "going" to school, it wasn't that easy. I had a hard time lifting my lunch tray, carrying my back pack was uncomfortable if it had more than a few note pads in it, and the drugs I was on made doing school work very difficult. The mix of pain killers and elavil (to treat nerve pain) made focusing on reading/studying vary hard early on. BUT, this was only till about October when I no longer needed either of the medications.
    In general, just know that the first 6 months are the toughest for recovery, some people may recover more quickly but I was a tobacco user prior to surgery. I returned to sports in late january, and today at nearly 10 months recovery I am playing contact basketball on a regular basis. I hope this lends some general insight into what recovery is like for a 19 y/o after spinal fusion.
    pre-op
    18 years old
    thoracic curve 51
    lumbar curve 48

Comment

Originally posted by mbrehm View Post
      Hello,
      My son is just 18 and scheduled to have fusion in June. By Dr. Sears in Knoxville Tennessee. My son is a college freshman and I am concerned about his healing as School starts in August which will be barely 8 weeks out of surgery. Dr. Sears Thinks he will not need any PT and that carrying a 35 lb backpack on a still fusing spine will be fine. I just find that hard to accept and would love to know anyones thoughts or experiences on the subject. As for the therapy I don't see what it can hurt as long as he has insurance. I would think he'd be better prepared to return the the rigors of campus which is a lot of walking ect..
      Thank you,
      Mary
      My daughter was back at school in 2 1/2 weeks with restrictions. She was probably quicker than some. She was off of medication for pain by then too. She was encouraged to do a lot of walking, even in the hospital before leaving. She was in swimming before and as soon as she could after (believe around 3 months), and had no physical therapy. She had to have her backpack carried as she could not lift it. Rolling backpack is a great option. I remember that first she couldn't lift more than 5 lbs. then no more than 10. She also had to ride the elevator as they did not want to risk her falling. Sitting was the hardest part for her. We used many pillows and a recliner to be comfortable. At first it was a little tough sitting for long periods at school. She was very stiff, and bending took a while, and turning was her whole body as she couldn't move her neck. She didn't drive, but that would be an issue for driving. She was very determined not to miss the first day of school, so that was an incentive. She had to leave each class 5 minutes early with a friend to get them to carry her books and take her to her next class before the heards of kids rushed out at the bell. With time eventually she was on her own, didn't leave early, and became easier. She played violin again shortly after school started. The doctor really encouraged her moving about, just not too physical contact sports. Lifitng her arms to wash her hair and fix her hair were tough at the beginning too. She was quick to get back, but hear most are at school within 4-6 weeks post op. It is hard at the beginning, but you will be amazed at 2 weeks, 2 months, and two years later. It really is hard at first, but after the first month time flies. Hope some of this helps a little.
      Last edited by Mom37; 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM. Reason: adding
      Shirley
      Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
      X