X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
    Pooka:

Actually, H-Pylori is found in 98% of ulcers/cancerous ulcers/stomach cancers. I did a paper on it in graduate school(10 years ago) and found it is considered a Class 1 carcinogen per the WHO. There is also another cancer, a form of lymphoma caused by H-Pylori which, in early stages, can be cured by antibiotics.

I got interested in it after my father died of stomach cancer(1991); he had a long history of ulcer disease. I also was infected by H-pylori and it was eradicated. This bacterium lives in the acid stomach environment.
    There are other ulcers caused by steroids, NSAIDS, aspirin but these do not usually lead to stomach cancer but cause severe, sometimes fatal bleeding.

The current state of the art(gastroenterology) is to treat H-Pylori. Doing so eliminates and heals the ulcers caused by this hardy bacterium. Healing has been documented by follow up gastroscopy.

When H-pylori gastritis is treated with appropriate antibiotics it does not progress to ulcers.
    This is extremely interesting!

I didn't know H. Pylori was that prevalent.

Interestingly, ulcers are quite common in horses, especially performance horses and they are apparently known NOT to be associated with a bacterium as far as I know.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Let there be debate--let's just be civil about it

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Your offense offends me.
      I have always been impressed with the level of knowledge and intelligence demostrated in the posts in this forum including most of yours, Pooka1, (save those like the one above.) In fact I'm beginning to suspect there must be a link between intellect and scoliosis! (That is a joke.)

You (and others) have brought up valid points in previous postings, but they get lost amid the belligerent tone of the posts! And believe me when I say that I did not want to inject myself into this discussion. But when I read what you wrote about God, it stuck in my throat, because you were mocking something that's sacred to me. Your comment cannot be left unchallenged. It had nothing to do with Spinecor and everything to do with Mamamax's beliefs and person. And that is what I object to.

All subscribers have a right to express their opinions, and it is right to point out unsupported claims and any incorrect facts posted. Please continue to do so! But as helpful as this Forum is, it would be even better if subscribers could post without fear of ridicule or personal attacks from dissenters.

We are all doing the best we can to deal with this condition that affects us. Perhaps "you've been there/done that, been down that road." But each person has to travel their own journey, and reach their own conclusions, since surgery is a permanent solution that may or may not help. Some people have no alternatives, but for those for whom it is not life-threatening to postpone surgery for a while and are considering their options, it is helpful to read about other scolis' journeys. Who knows? After two years Mamamax may conclude that Spinecor was a waste of time and money. Or not. I want to follow her journey.

And if you please, I would like to ask one thing of you. That you not disrespect the God I worship. A reasonable request, don't you think?

LoveArt
      [SIZE="1"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

-1976 Diagnosed at 10; ignored.
      -1979 "Rediscovered" at 13 during school screenings, Boston brace too late, surgery advised. Curves approx T34/L20. Did not have surgery
      -1997 T36/L34, shots & pills for pain
      -2007 T41/L34, Wait and see
      -2008 Told by non-SRS Ortho my curve increased 15* in one year and needed surgery!
      -2009 T43/L36 Got two second opinions from SRS Orthos who said doc #1 measured wrong! Curve NOT progressing.

Comment

• Reference Post: 137

I do not think i could have said it better .. not in a million years - not with a million words .. not after a million prayers. A blessing this night. For all. We are in world-forum here. Requiring a seven letter word - respect, and all that respect may imply. Well done!
        Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Amazing Brace - Week Two

Taking stock of treatment so far (day 14), some thoughts that first come to mind, are the comments from others. Upon first seeing me in brace, my sister - with big blue eyes amazed .. said: "you look so relaxed, your neck was always so tense - like you were struggling to maintain your posture" (sisters notice these things). I too noticed right away an immediate release of neck tension in brace and the change in physical apearance as a result. Co-workers tell me i stand straighter, some have noticed i'm a little taller (that's a whole strange thing, bouncing all over the place like Alice in Wonderland as far as height, daily). Interesting, the things others notice, confirming my own observations. One woman at work has said the treatment is changing my attitude. Well, i suppose if one experiences less pain than normal - one may certainly seem happier.

Truth is - it's not so much how we look in life as it is how we feel. In-brace, i feel ... relieved. Wearing schedule today, is up to 7 1/2 hours. I must take it off at work - which i don't like to do, because my body reverts to its old ways (but it does take a few minutes longer each day for it to do so, i observe). I look forward to when i will be able to wear it all day - for it makes the day much better.

This brace is designed to retrain atrophied muscles that cannot hold the spine erect - so there is no need to worry about muscle atrophy as with other braces i've heard about. I believe it's true (as my provider tells me and manufacturer web site supports), as i can feel it in-brace .. and have witnessed progressive strengthening out of brace albeit quite slow at this stage and certainly not long lasting (baby steps). I'm free to exercise if i want to - outside of some right lateral breathing exercises (designed to increase chest expansion on the locked up left rib side .. that is working too) - but i don't (though i probably should). Later, when i'm wearing full time.

Surgery not being an option for me - i continue to be pleased with this choice. I wish it had been available as an adolescent - and marvel at the stories in the adolescent forum. Reducing pain meds - not needing them as much. Filled with gratitude that cannot be denied. And yes, i know that makes it seem like i drank the mind altering Kool-aid .. but, week two, in final analysis - it is what it is

Disclaimer: This is only one Adult Spinecor experience - not all experiences are the same among patients, many however .. report similar experience.
          Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 07:56 PM. Reason: Edited to correct typos

Comment

• I do not see what I wrote as mocking given the biblical god. It's your claim, not mine.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Faith is a sacred thing - while you may not see a remark as offensive - others may. The respectful thing to do when someone is offended in a situation like that - is to say ... sorry (regardless of right/wrong - my personal opinion is that it would be the right thing to do, always). Which admittedly, is sometimes a difficult thing to do (takes a big person/soul). Things my mother taught me - long ago.

I do see a bit of disrespect for Faith (divinity and/or God) going on. Whether intentional or unintentional - if this is offensive to anyone - sorry would be a good thing to express. Because, Faith is so sacred to all who have it (with good reason).

any chance of moving on? Well, maybe not - after all, Faith is also an important component of any treatment protocol. A well known and documented fact - evidenced, every day.

Edited numerous times for clarity - at one point forgot which thread i was in!! Sorry (vestibularly challenged)

Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM. Reason: edited numerous times - for clarity

Comment

• Read Discombobulated's new thread and tell me there is any justice in the world.

I won't be spoken to like I'm an idiot.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Reference Posting #141

Sorry if what i said made you feel that way - certainly did not mean for that.

My posting - simply good advice for all (including myself) regarding communication in world-forum (or actually, anywhere) ... from rocket scientists to amoeba (what's the plural for that?).

Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                    Hey - this thread started by myself has achieved the dubious distinction of becoming ... the most active thread in NSF Non Surgical adult bracing history since 3/30/2003
                    That's probably due to the fact adult bracing (outside a *possible* pain management tool) is not effective.

No one's been inclined, thus far, to make unsubstantiated claims of corrective success, nor continue to insist there's evidence of efficacy (it doesn't exist). I've also never seen anyone post so voluminously (and cross threadwise) in response to themselves.

"Most active thread" isn't all that significant when you're the majority poster. It also seems somewhat odd (maybe it's just me) that a large portion of *those* posts are threats against others, rants about perceived persecution, and to assure everyone of your close personal bond with Joe O'Brien. I'm not sure how any of that's germane.

You chose to brace because you believe it will work. Great. Best to you ... whether or not I personally believe you've been misled (or as CD said in an earlier post "drank the Kool-Aid").

I don't think I'm the only one who shares Linda's view it's irresponsible to claim Spinecor (or any brace) is capable of permanently altering a skeletally mature curve (after 2 weeks?): You haven't achieved correction ... much less *lasting* correction.

By the way, I'd like to reiterate (this certainly seems to be the thread in which to repeat yourself ... sometimes verbatim), no one ELSE has achieved it either.

Ever. Like NEVER ever.

To anyone actually buying into this (and I can understand *wanting* to believe it's possible), please look at the DATA vs. one person's baseless assurance.

It's really rather ironic Deutchman's name was mentioned; on *several* occasions he's been thought to have thrown shill's into this forum. Anyone remember the self-proclaimed nationally ranked figure skater (skeletally mature) who claimed Spinecor corrected her curve? Her story was as full of holes as this one.

Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

• Posts #140 and #142 were in response to LoveArt.

We don't need rules against nonsense. All we need is conversational pressure from a million different sides to ask people to start making sense.

Scoliosis is a serious medical condition that affects innocent people. Let's not compound that harsh reality with irrelevant claims that ignore that reality. Rational people with scoliotic kids shouldn't have to endure that also.

If there is a god, he is countenancing my kids dealing with this crap. You can have that god and are invited not to make reference to that god in rational company.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• You are ranting Sharon. And i don't blame you. I read the post.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8754

Good words - yours to her .... what we are here for. I'm humbled by her experience. And my heart goes out to her.

It does not shake my Faith or turn me from God. Though once, experiencing the death of my youngest sister (which was very long and painful), i am ashamed to say .. my Faith turned to hate. So i understand how that happens. Somehow i came back .. and remain.

For certain there are things that cannot be explained.

And i have learned that i cannot make myself sick enough - to cure others who deserve healing (some will understand that statement - maybe you).
                        Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Reference Post #144 (et al)

Trexmarinebomb ... one of my fondest dreams is - that you will just go away - certainly you have more important things to do?

Interesting you show up at week two review - Amazing Brace (Posting #139). You always show up when things are going well - and attempt to spoil it.

I'm sorry you are so - tied up in knots and angry about everything ... have read many posts of yours in numerous threads - things i had once missed but have looked into since your ... visits to me. You have long history of mean spiritedness, don't you?

Your actions would test the patience of a saint and are enough to make a nun cuss ... fact ... well evidenced. What wonderful words do you have to follow? Terribly bored by your repetitive actions (you are the exception to most folks here) ... really. I know i should find some way to forgive you .. but i'm not there yet.
                          Last edited by mamamax; 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                            For certain there are things that cannot be explained.
                            You got that right.

Just because we WANT and explanation does mean there is one on offer.

In the end, we have to live with our conscience. Frankly, I don't know how some people do that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• I know Sharon ... i know. There is much pain amongst us. And truly - if we all could really know each other's pain ... we would be more caring.

Comment

• OK, this thread (as well as the other) is going nowhere, so I'm going to close it.

Mamamax, if you start another thread, please keep your posts to your personal experience, or those threads will be closed as well.
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X