Thread: Spinecor Adult Users

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spinecor Adult Users

Last edited by mamamax; 04-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.

I dont think there have been many (any?) adult Spinecor users on the forum.
    It's impressive that you report an immediate decrease in pain, good for you!
    I would be interested to hear if it lasts (hope it does).
    Also, perhaps you can comment on the elastic bands. Some folks have reported on them loosening pretty quick. Others have adjusted tension themselves with bad results (explore this further before you are tempted to self adjust anything).

On another thread you noted an immediate 2 inch increase in height followed by a 1 inch decrease. That is interesting. Do you have the capability to accurately measure your height at home?

One last thing, try not to use the small font and you may get more responses. It's pretty hard to read. Thed first thing I thought of when I (Squintingly) read your post was, 59 huh? pretty good eyesight!

There actually was one woman a year (maybe more) or so back who was wearing one for pain management. Of course that's all it can do in a skeletally mature person, but I seem to recall she reported decent improvement in how she felt ... but I don't think she posted much after the initial in-brace period.

My largest concern about bracing an adult (Hanson expressed this same sentiment) is the risk of muscle atrophy.

Good luck.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op 53, Post-op < 20
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Last edited by mamamax; 04-17-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamax View Post

While there appears to be some down sides to the miracle brace, I must also say this - over the last few days I have been able to perform activities that normally would have left me in agony and in week long recovery. To again be able to perform what are considered simple every day tasks without pain or without waking up in agony because I did some yard work or even just cleaned house ... is a true God send and enough to prompt me to write a stellar review. This is not however, a brace one simply puts on without protocol, self monitoring and perhaps most important, without adequate and professional follow up - so all these things, or lack thereof will effect statistics, success and/or failure.

Maxene, It is truly great that the brace is helping you. I am sure others here will be interested to see how it continues to work (or not). I have a bunch of questions and I am guessing others will have some as well.
    But first off, perhaps you could tell us about your scoliosis (if you feel comfortable sharing details). Do you know what your curve is currently? Where you diagnosed as a child? Where you ever braced as a child? Did the Spinecor providors perform a pre and post brace xray? What is your curve(s) in-brace? Why would 3 distinct surgeries be necessary? What are the Spinecor doctors telling you will happen in 2 years? (Do they say you will need to wear the brace the rest of your life to acheive pain relief?) Have you consulted with an orthopedic doctor recently? Is he the one who wrote the script for the Spinecor?

OK, that's a bunch of questions, if you feel like responding to any of them it would be great.

For the sake of folks here I hope you stick around and provide updates. If it turns out good for you others may want to consider it, if bad, you could potentially save others a ton of money.

Regarding the Macleans article, I know it has received a lot of criticism here for how it portrays the surgery aspect of scoliosis. It comes across very biased against surgery which causes discerning folks to question the validity of other claims the author makes. I have read it and always wondered if the authors son continues to wear the brace to this day or if the benefit faded with time.

I would also be interested to hear about what kind of "changes outside of pain management" they say you may get. Are they telling you that after 2 years you may end up with an (out of brace) permanent change? If so, have they backed any of these claims up with data? (Not trying to dissuade you here from trying anything and hoping for the best, but I see this as being a serious point of <cough> "discussion")