Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a couple of questions?? and Very Thankful!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a couple of questions?? and Very Thankful!!

Hi everybody, I am fairly new to this forum. I have done alot of reading it is all very helpful. I had my first surgery when I was 11. I was fused from T4 to L3 had an S curve both 60 degrees. After surgery always had on and off pain. I was told hooks broke or something got lose. However, 6yrs after my first surgery my pain increased greatly finally went back to Doc that put the rods in and he told me they need to be removed because I had developed an allergy to the rods (this was very very rare). At this point we where very confused but trusted my surgeon and was in enough pain just wanted to get it over with. He told me I was fused and didnt need the rods anymore. After my secound surgery pain was less for a while however eventually about 6 months later had lots of pain but was not living in the US at that time where I had my previous surgeries the Docs in Lebanon told me I need another surgery because while removing my rods the doc did lots of damage and it needed to be fixed. However, I was not about to have another surgery and the pain was tolerable.

That brings me to my current situation I am 26 now and had a baby 3yrs ago my back pain started to increase greatly after my babys birth and I can now say I have been in extreme pain for 1yr. I was in denial for the first six months. I just didnt see that anything else could be done for me. However, my family made me go see a doctor. And now after seeing 3 doctors in my city(houston) and was not pleased with them I went to see Dr. BOACHI after all the things I heard about him on this website.

THE RESULTS- I am not fused have 2 60 degree curves again plus major L4 and L5 problems. Boachi wants to refuse what he can and fuse L4 and L5 and cut my ribs and do an anterior to replace 3 discs inorder for the fusion to hold this time!

All this said I was shocked and couldnt even understand how I ended up here!(in this sitution) But this forum has made me feel like I am not alone and I wanted to share my story with all of U! I had never heard of revision previous to all this!

I am still shocked and trying to prepare mentally for surgery! knowing I have a huge chance of having to be refused to my sacrum one day but living one day at a time!! sometimes I just feel like when does this all end! I am hoping with surgery my pains will decrease!!

I have some questions if anybody can help??

lots of difficulty with Boachi and insurance!! I went ahead and bought BCBS i already have a unicare plan but I thought it might not be good enough. Now They are telling me that BCBS isnt that good and i might have to pay alot up front! I was wondering if anybody has any advice or has been in the same situation!

and just wondering if anybody has had similiar sitution like mine (rods in then out and needs them again)

Again, I just want to say that this forum has helped me greatly and I thank all of you for sharing your stories and all your advice !!! It is the only thing that heples me get threw this!

Sorry to hear of your problems Vicky. I can't help with many of your questions but am sure someone with the experience you need, will come along soon and offer you some good advice. Wishing you the best of luck!

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I can understand how you are confused. I've heard amazing things about Dr Boachi but decided not to take my daughter to him because he doesn't take our insurance (GHI). I could afford a couple of visits to him but not years of on-going care so there doesn't seem to be a way for us to work with him. I'm not familiar with the insurance plans you mentioned. Did his office mention whether they take any plans?

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes JEN!

Aterry
        I dont blame you for taking your daughter to another Doc because it is very hard to deal with his office! I just feel like he is my best bet because my case is compicated and he was the only one I saw that had a solution to my problems! His office doesnt take ANY Insurance but if you have an insurance that covers a high % for out of network providers U should be in ok shape?? Still have to find out if that is true or not but that is what I am hoping!

I was wondering what Doc did u see?? and are u happy with him?? do U live in NY?? Cause I live all the way down here in Texas and it is so far and inconvenient but willing to sacrafice to have a great outcome once I can finally get a date for sugery!

Take Care

Comment

texas revision doc

Hi Vicky,
          I am currently seeing Dr. Shelekov in Plano at the Baylor Scoliosis Center. He is great and I drive 3 1/2 hr to see him. I went through 4 surgeons before finding one that I feel can truly help me. I understand your frustration and pain.
          I hope this helps!
          - Jennifer

Comment

Thanks Jenn, actually great to hear because I have an appointment with him on the 29th but I am going to see the PA to get things rolling thats what the office recommanded anyways! I am glad to hear you like him I wil fly in from houston the same day as the appointment! have you had surgery with him?

Vicky

Comment

re shelekov

Hi Vicky-
              I haven't had surgery with him yet. I just saw him and his PA again this past Friday, the 17th to discuss surgery. So, I do need surgery, it's just up to me now to follow through. His PA is absolutely wonderful; very knowledgeable and caring. I am glad you'll be seeing him soon!
              Email me directly if you like (jennd479@yahoo.com)
              I'm sure we will have a lot more to talk about.
              Best wishes
              - Jenn

Comment

To VickyB

Hey there,

I also recommend Dr. Shelokov. He has done all my surgeries - most recently on 3/30/09. Their office is easy to do business with and are most professional. Eric B, his PA is awesome!

My revision surgery on 3/30 went smoothly. I left the hospital on 4/2/09 without any need for rehab. I was practically pain free when I left. I've had several surgeries and experiences as you can read from my signature. If you would like to discuss anything or ask any specific questions, feel free to email me privately.

Alexis is a top notch surgeon - one of the best in the country!

Best of luck to you.
                Christy
                Christy
                Plano, TX
                Surgical dates
                3/25/02 - fused T1-L3, T - 88 degrees
                L - 74 degrees
                7/8/04 - repaired 6 areas of non-union & fused L3-L4
                12/15/05 - fused L4-L5, L5-S1
                2/27/06 - corrected hardware failure
                3/5/06 - corrected hardware issue
                6/16/06 - replaced broken screw in pelvis
                3/9/07 - rear ended auto collision
                2/12/09 - totaled car - someone pulled out in front of me - Yikes!
                3/30/09 - Revision surgery, removed & replaced t12through S1

Comment

re shelekov

Hi csbaby,

I will likely be having a revision surgery in the near future probably in October. Is there anyway I could email you directly. I had my first surgery 10 years ago (T4-L4). Did well until 4 years ago and Shelekov is planning to do a revision/with screws at L3/4 because it didn't fuse, screws at L2/3 for stability, and then fix L4/5 because I have a pinched nerve and my joints are worn out.

I am glad you have had a great experience with Shelekov....... I think I needed to read your thread because I am a bit nervous and haven't scheduled yet.

Thanks for your post..... it came just at the right time!
                  - Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                  X