Surgerys?Back Pain? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgerys?Back Pain? Help!

Hello,I'm new to this site, but not new to Scoliosis. I'm a 20 years old female was diagnosed with Scoliosis in a routine screening through my Elementary school in 1999 I was 11 years old, because I was one of the kids who was told they had scoliosis I had to get a full spinal x-ray. Then had to come back and review the x-ray with my doctor he told me My back was 27% curvature in my upper lumbar(1999) and that was not bad enough to brace. in 2002 my Junior High School did another routine screening where they marked me for having Scoliosis, so I had to get another x-ray, i went back to my doctor said my spine was still 27% curvature in my upper lumbar(2002) shortly after that I started having some back pain I was able to relief some of the pressure with cracking my back every now and then with my chair in class. well after puberty, (late bloomer) mid high school(2004) this every now and then cracking became a multiple times a day thing. At school, and home, having friends crack my back. just constant state of pain and tension, it would and still gets to points where if i cant crack the upper part of my back and no one can do it for me. i will be in so much agonizing pain I can barley get out of bed. I dealt with this for the majority of high school high and still current deal with a constant state of pressure, muscle aches, tension and back pain I don't know what life is with out back pain anymore. Finally in 2008 my mother asked me to take a look at my back with out like they did it the routine screenings. Instantly made me go to the doctor for a new full spine x-ray, I went to a orthopedic surgeon this time for a different opinion then current doctor and original doctor that diagnosed me. This doctor did also something similar to when i was diagnosed bend forward bend back and side to side. The doctor Also asked me to bring all my x-rays from over the years 1999-2008 and he puts them up on the light up boards to look at, and see if there has been any progression of the years he looks at them for a moment and quickly erases the original measurements of my most recent x-ray and starts re doing it...

Sure enough my back which I was told 2 separate times was 27% and not a problem enough to brace was actually 40 % curvature in my upper spine and 20 % curvature in my lower spine and has been since 1999 and also a very large embarrassing and prominent rib hump, which if squeezed or hit in the right spot hard enough on my side will instantly bring me to tears and I'm a very strong girl with a high pain tolerance, but thats the one thing I have zero control over. causes me the most excruciating pain I still have ever felt to this day. so the orthopedic surgeon recommended 6 months of physical therapy 3 times a week. Well I went for about a month or 2 and it cost a bunch 90 dollars a week, and I didn't have that kind of money to waste on treatment I felt no improvements on. I'm almost 21 years old and I'm just so fed up of slouchy for slight relief, cracking, twisting, being crooked not having shirt, pants anything fit me right.

so my questions for you are:

What are my options from here?

What types of surgeries are available?

Do you think i qualify for a spinal surgery with the background i have provided?

What is the usual downtime for a spinal surgery like this?

Will i grow taller? (this may sound funny but I'm already 5'11)

Also added a photo taken just a few days ago of my spine. for a visual reference to hopefully get better answers.
    Last edited by ashdosmil; 04-01-2009, 03:06 PM.

I would get another opinion or two and make surgery a last resort. I was under "watch" for 3 years & knew that my curve was progressing 2 degrees every year. My surgeon told me that I might still have back pain even after fusion surgery. good luck.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

Physical Therapists are supposed to teach you exercises that you can do at home. Even most insurance company's won't pay for more than 24 visits. So in the meantime while you are looking into surgery, I suggest you do the exercises at home that you were taught. It sometimes takes 6 months of doing the exercises before you notice an improvement with the pain. At least, that has been my experience. Take care.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
      X