blood clot? Who knows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood clot? Who knows...

Well, here's to the end of yet another frustrating day. I went to my PCP and talked w/my Doc. She seemed very confused when I told her why I was there & what the surgeons office had suggested. As she made a funny face, she looked at me and said" so, they think you have a blot clot and want me to do an ultrasound?" I said "yes, that is what they said" Another look and a short pause.."So, where do they think this blot clot is located and why do they think you have one?" I say "Umm, I dunno"....really becuz I didnt. I just know what they told me to do, which was get an ultrasound to check for a blood clot! So, she for the 2nd time asks me to describe the pain and how and when it occures...so I do. Again, a confused look. I finally say" you dont think I have a blood clot either, do you?" and she shakes her head no but says in the same breath that what Im describing sounds Atypical and she cant rule it out, yet it seemed unlikely. I agree...I think I would have suffered some type of ramifiction from a blood clot that was lingering in my body for 2 weeks now...or not? She agreed w/them however, that it didnt seem like Sciatica either and decided to call the surgeons office to get the needed answers to her questions. She called 2 times while I waited in the waiting area when I finally told her I was going home. They finally called while I was out getting my hair done(1st time since Dec 20th...I was lookin pretty rough). I of course missed the calls but they (both Doc's) decided that Im better off seeing Dr Tribus to get to the bottom of this...so I have an apt there on Monday. I was unable to talk to anyone as I got home after the office closed & didnt feel like calling the after hours "emergency" line as if they thought I truly had a clot, IM SURE they would have left me a message saying so. One would assume anyway.....yikes. Either way, I still know nothing about why Im jolted awake every single night w/this nasty pain. I do know that my medicine cabnet is now fully stocked w/everything from sleep aids, muscle relaxers, pain killers, Tylonol, Tylonol PM, stool softners, and my nerve pills! YIkes....I feel like I could open my own online pharmasutical company! ha ha ha.( My PCP gave me some things to try until we figure out whats going on...or as she referred to them as "band aids".)
    More to come.......
    Last edited by LynnMarie74; 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM.
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Awh honey, I'm sorry you're going through all this crap. I'm glad you'll be going in on Monday. Will you try to call the surgeon's office tomorrow? I hope you get a better night's sleep tonight.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Why are they waiting until Monday? Especially if they think there is a possibility of a blood clot! This just makes no sense to me. Is there any way you can call tomorrow and try to get in sooner? Like before the weekend so you can hopefully have some peace of mind/rest. My guess is that when you meet with him he's not going to know what to do immediately anyway and will send you for more tests. I know he's busy but it would seem that you should have some rights to get in to see him soon.

I'm glad that someone at your clinic called his office - seems that they are on the ball at least.

I hope they find that it's something that's easily fixed!

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Lynne, I'm sorry you are having to go through this rigmarole! I don't know anything about clots but presume that they are caused by inactivity. From what you've said, you are very active??

I do hope this thing is just one of those passing, unexplained things that right themselves. Sorry I am not any help, but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. Please let us know how you go.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Im going to be calling shortly. And I agree...I should be seen sooner...I dont think they think its a blood clot anymore, after talking to my PCP. Im going to have to assume its a pinched nerve or something w/the muscles in that area. And, no...I didnt have a good nights sleep...ugh! I dont think anything will work. If there was a drug that would last long enough and get me thru the night, that I could take right before bed...that would be good. We all know hydrocodone, muscle relaxers, etc all wear off w/in 3-4 hrs...or at least they do for me.

Jennifer..I hope your feeling good!! I wouldnt say that Im underactive...I dont lay around on my sofa all day or sit & watch TV for hours at a shot. Ive been slacking a little on the walking everyday as Im too tired. If I get that in every other day or every 2nd day, Id say thats more accurate these days.

Well, Im going to be getting myself and my 4 yr old dressed now. My aunt is going to take him for a few hrs again today for me. Perhaps, if my dog will let me alone in the basement w/out destroying my house, I will walk today!!
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. These kinds of set backs must be frustrating! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am now 16 days post-op. I still tend to sleep alot, but, I'm getting real antsy to start walking outside. Is it too early?? I am still on lots of pain meds and go to the doc next week for my post-op apt. I assume he'll check me to see how I'm doing....fingers crossed.

Lynne, pls keep up posted!!

Comment

Possibly I missed something but haven't your doctors heard of oxycontin or mscontin, both of which are 12 hour pills and some doctors even have patients take them every 8 hours to positively get all around coverage. there is even kadian which is a 24 hour pill for thorough coverage. None of the immediate release are going to help because you will wake up as soon as you feel it stop working.
              hope you start feeling better and get some answers soon.
              take care,
              avis
              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I forgot about oxy.....had it in the hospital & for one week post op. I was taken off that stuff faster than a nascar! They are really weird about meds....and i do understand there are people out there who take advantage of them, but then there are the rest of us who would truly benefit from them. Good call Avis. See...Im so over tired and over medicated I forgot! Ughhh.....Im calling my PCP tomorrow and asking for "one more band aid"!!!
                Lynn -30.... something
                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
                  I forgot about oxy.....had it in the hospital & for one week post op. I was taken off that stuff faster than a nascar! They are really weird about meds....and i do understand there are people out there who take advantage of them, but then there are the rest of us who would truly benefit from them. Good call Avis. See...Im so over tired and over medicated I forgot! Ughhh.....Im calling my PCP tomorrow and asking for "one more band aid"!!!
                  Lynn,

It always amazed me how stingy your Dr. was with the oxy. I know they probably worry about the potential abuse, but JEEZ....one week??? You poor girl. I hope you get some relief.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm still on Oxycontin, 20mg twice a day. It doesn't make me sleep all night, I usually wake once or twice but it keeps the pain at bay for 12 hours. When I came home from hospital, I was on 40 ml twice a day so I've halved it, thanks to a comfortable bed.

Good luck Lynne, you must be getting mroe and more tired and frustrated. I hope you get an answer very soon.

Comment

Lynn,

This is getting ridiculous! They need to figure out what the problem is so you can get on with healing!!! I've noticed that some people on the website have had trouble getting in to see their surgeons if there is an issue post-op. This just doesn't seem right to me. I would think being post-op they would fit you in right away if there is a potential problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Take care and try to keep your spirits up
                      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

meds

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                        Possibly I missed something but haven't your doctors heard of oxycontin or mscontin, both of which are 12 hour pills and some doctors even have patients take them every 8 hours to positively get all around coverage. there is even kadian which is a 24 hour pill for thorough coverage. None of the immediate release are going to help because you will wake up as soon as you feel it stop working.
                        hope you start feeling better and get some answers soon.
                        take care,
                        avis
                        Avis,

Just have to tell you, I just wrote down those meds you were discussing for future reference! Just in case they pull that's the ol' "that's the strongest we have" funny business....I always like to be one step ahead lol!
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

another update....

or did I post this already....yikes...Im loosing track of my posts now! lol I have a new apt w/the surgeons office next Tuesday, the 7th....on my birthday! What a way to spend the day AND the last day of my medical leave! Total bummer!!!! Either way....Dr Tribus is (supposedly) on a medical confrence and wont be around, BUT his PA will be there. I did talk to her yesterday afternoon and she said they have ruled out a blood clot as a blood clot would not just hurt at night....it would hurt as long as it was blocking a vessel or what have you...the the relief would come when it dissolved or passed. (honestly, even tho it was freaky to hear, I never really thought thats what it was anyway) She said that she things I may have "tweaked" a muscle in my back unknowingly, but want to do some Xrays to be sure we are not looking at a loose screw or broken hardward. NOW THAT freaks me out! Im hoping for the tweaked muscle as I know that will eventually go away w/some PT or something!

AND.....I slept last night!! I took 2 hydrocodone and 10 mgs of Valium, watched some BAD TV and feel asleep on my couch. I really think the couch was the trick. I used the back pillow of the couch as the pillow for under my butt/lower back & woke up at 5:30 this morning, w/just a little amount of pain compared to what it has been. I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!! I told Paul this morning that I will miss sleeping w/him, but if it means I can sleep AND be (almost) pain free, thats what Im gunna do til Im feeling better. He obviously understood...be sighed gave me a sad little pout! lol Im sure he will get over it...who wouldnt want a nice comfie queen size bed to themself!? lol

Hope everyone else is feeling good today! Take care all!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

one more drug

Lynn, when i read your last post i remembered that nothing put me to sleep better than ativan, which i had never taken before this surgery. when i was freaking out my first night in icu with surgery pain and a corneal abrasian, they gave me a shot of ativan and i finally got a couple of hours sleep. i guess valium is the same but ativan is real short acting so it won't make you drowsy the next day.
                            avis
                            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Glad you got one good night's sleep, Lynne. A bit of good sleep does wonders, doesn't it? Hope you get another good night tonight and that your back pain fixes itself once you're relaxed and refreshed. I know, but stranger things have happened!

Comment

Working...
                              X