No announcement yet.

What should I expect postsurgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way could I have been alone, of course. But no one could have forseen my disabling complication.

In an ideal world, men would be just as proficient as women at the multi-tasking required to take care of kids, pets, meals, the house, the yard, and a job. But from what I've seen and experienced, most simply aren't. They're not groomed for it, and women are -- especially in my (middle-aged) generation. My husband took excellent care of me and my daughter during the roughest part of my recovery, and I considered myself lucky to have him. But he's a horrendous cleaner and not much of a cook. So yes, we were grateful to have extra help for a while, too.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

My husband took good care of me but he can't (or won't ) boil water. He can microwave food. Fortunately, we have a wonderful church family who prepared meals for us for at least three weeks, even though I had prepared meals in the freezer. I hired someone to come and clean the house a couple of times.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

My hubby works an odd shift so would not be around to take care of the kids (all under 13) and I will not be "up" to taking care of them. I'm most worried about my 13 year old as he'd run around like a maniac if nno watchful eyes were on him.

You're right, that I probably don't give my hubby credit enough. However, he did inform me that he has too many responsibilities to be by my bedside (nice) so I do need to rely on my mom for 2 weeks (1 week in the hospital and 1 week at home)...after that he'll be on call Then he'll see what I do in a day. He's able to take 2 weeks off to care for me. Since he's not one who's very good at nursing - I am opting for my mom for the first two roughest weeks.

Maybe we like to think the world would fall apart without us? or maybe we've seen worlds fall apart when "mommy" is not around? my own siblings lost their mom at a young age and I see how it wore on them...so I guess I worry that mine be without me for even a short time.

I think each of you brought up some valid points I'm going to do my best to take care of myself and hope the world revolves while I'm out of commission. I'm asking my mom to come without reservations and am requiring help from my kids and hubby.

Tonight I'm in excruciating pain - horribly long day at work plus 2 more kids to help with homework and tuck in...just took a quick break for myself.

Take care all and thanks for your thoughts and insights.

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
          ... You're right, that I probably don't give my hubby credit enough. However, he did inform me that he has too many responsibilities to be by my bedside (nice) so I do need to rely on my mom for 2 weeks ...
          Always ... sorry you're in pain, and yes ... ultimately you have to do what you feel is best for you.

(although I think if my non-existent husband were actually an existent husband and told me that, he'd be saddled with a lot MORE responsibility - especially every other weekend from 6:30 Friday to 6:30 Sunday, Wed's from 6:00-8:00 PM, and 30 days in the summer!)

That's all I'll say on the topic. Promise.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Always--

that's another thing that for the first few weeks home I couldn't even consider--homework help for my 9 year old. I was on too many drugs to think clearly. I left it to my parents & husband.

For me, oxycontin & 4th grade math just don't mix.

Good luck to you,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I had to abandon helping my daughter with math homework by the third grade when it got too advanced for me..LOL
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I've made it to 7th grade math (but I swear - it's what i learned in high school...phew!) Not sure how much further I'll be of help

Always Smilin'
                Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                right thoracic 57
                lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                unsure of degrees at this point

Comment