Great news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news!

I never thought I'd be so excited. A few weeks ago I got a call from the hospital social worker that I had to stay in a nursing home/rehab for 6 weeks - I was mortified. I called 2 of my doctor's nurses (p.a.'s) at 2 different times - both confirmed this. I've been frantically looking, crying, moaning to my family, etc.

Last Friday I sent a certified restricted letter to Dr. Tribus to ask for more info on this as it was causing such stress and I was having trouble sleeping, working, caring for my family etc. Come to find out, I DO NOT need to go to a facility for 6 weeks (which is why he hadn't discussed it with me during my presurgical consult). Turns out he accidently circled something on the form he gave to the nurses. He requires nursing care if you are fused to the sacrum. He called me today and told me what happened and was very apologetic.

Thank God he is human! I can live with that mistake anyday. I am on cloud 9 today and told my social worker I just may have a drink to celebrate (which I NEVER do). She asked me not to for fear I would trip and break the next vertebrae down which would then put me in a nursing home ( he he)- I celebrated with ice cream instead.

My mom and I cried tears of joy - and then asked each other why we were so happy that I ONLY have to have a rod from T2-L4 - goes to show - things could always be worse!

Just wanted to share my good news.

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

I can understand your joy at hearing about this mistake! It's always good to hear some good news, anything that cheers us up and relieves the stress is good to hear about. All the very best, always smilin!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay! That is such good news. I'm just sorry you had to go through all the stress unnecessarily... but now it all sounds so much better. That was so smart of you to send the letter.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi always smiling,
        That is fantastic news, I am so pleased for you.
        Claire

Comment

Yahhhooooooooooooooo

That is the best news ever!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Always Smiling,

Can I ask are you having the operation to correct the curves again? If so have they told u what the degree the correction will be?

I too thought my curve was progressing ( 58 after surgery 63- 66 now, who know with the way they measure the xrays ) but I felt alot crooker, I am sure u know what I mean. I went to have it looked at and the surgeon said yes he could restraighten but would mean lower lung capacity and 4% chance paralysiation. I didnt go ahead with it and am now currently doing pilates to see if that will help.

Were you told the same thing?

Comment

Working...
            X