No announcement yet.

Son having fusion on Thursday 4/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, speaking up is very hard for me, but I will do it for John. Now they are going mold the brace on Monday...now I approve

Comment

Somehow I missed John's surgery until today. My son was fused 5 months ago. I agree about the robe/gown issue and the rubber dot-soled socks worked great for him.

One thing I wish I had known is that swelling is normal and can last quite awhile--facial, ankle, and genital (which can be a little alarming in boys). John will sleep a lot these first few days. You'll be surprised at how quickly he will begin to improve, though.

We had a 9-hour travel day (plane and car) on the day we went home, and Sidney tolerated it well. Make sure you get the prescription of pain meds filled before you leave for home.

Hang in there and don't forget to eat, drink, and try to get enough sleep. I know that will be a trick with John and your husband to look after, but you can't be there for them if you're not there for yourself.

Keep us posted!

Mary Ellen

Comment

My daughter was in her room by 5:00pm or so after surgery. They had her up midday or so the next day. It was pure torture watching physical therapy. No brace though for her after surgery. She had no pain control so physical therapy was bad. I did go against medical advice a couple of times. Doctor wanted the cathater out and I refused. She could not get to the bathroom yet. I have learned from others that have had children or adults in the hospital that sometimes you do have to speak up. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

Note on the swelling issue...yah my girl was puffy in the face and body for a while.

Comment

I know it will still be a very long next few days/weeks for you and as I was warned with Carolyn by the nurses...be prepared for them to be downright nasty mood and they take it out on their moms. It does get better.

Make sure for the pain meds they EAT. I forget the first meds Carolyn was on but it would make her so dizzy. Then come to find out it was probably since she wasn't eating very well, so was basically taking it on an empty stomach which you aren't supposed to do. I didn't know this until AFTER we switched meds to the Tylenol 3 (but that worked for us). Carolyn is a picky eater to start with so hospital food was nearly impossible to get her to eat in general. We were allowed to bring our own food in but getting her to eat anything was a challenge, she just wanted to sleep.
            Becky
            Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
            Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
            X