One year anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year anniversary

It was one year ago today that my daughter, Savannah, had her fusion (T4-L1).

Thanks to the expertise of her surgeon, she looks normal and feels normal. Her spine is still holding at the angle it was a few days after surgery (5*) and she has her pre-scoliosis life back.

Science and medicine... more than just a good idea. Making a difference.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-26-2009, 09:46 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Congratulations on the 1 year mark!!!

I am anxiously looking forward to when we are there!
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks, Becky.

The odds are on your side that your daughter will get a great result.

Good luck.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations Sharon and Savannah! You have reached a big milestone! Can't wait to join you!
        Becky
        Mom to Emily having surgery May 28

Comment

Sharon

Thats fantastic news! Its amazing how well the kids do with these surgeries.
          Age changes everything.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Congratulations to you, Savannah, and and your whole family on reaching this milestone, Sharon. I know it's been a long haul--and what a great outcome!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Becky, Ti Ed, and Mary Ellen,

Thanks so much for your notes. I appreciate them.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Doin' the happy dance for Savannah! I hope you celebrate this wonderful anniversary. Glad to hear she continues to do well (anyone expect less?).
                Carmell
                mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Originally posted by Carmell View Post
                  Doin' the happy dance for Savannah! I hope you celebrate this wonderful anniversary. Glad to hear she continues to do well (anyone expect less?).
                  Thanks, Carmell.

We did celebrate. Chocolate cake but no singing.

Savannah didn't remember the date but Willow did. Willow took the news that Savannah needed surgery harder that did Savannah. Willow even took the prospect of her own surgery this summer much easier than Savannah's surgery. They are very close, obviously.

It's my impression that most kids do pretty well with this surgery. Age is on their side as Ti Ed mentioned. It's like she never had scoliosis. Quite amazing. Someone should get a Nobel for this instrumentation.

Between my two daughters, I have far more worry and concern now for the braced one and what the future likely holds for her than I have for my fused daughter. No contest. If I thought the brace was doing anything I would strongly advise her to stop wearing it and get the surgery as soon as she qualifies. But I don't think the brace is doing anything so I say nothing.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
                  sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That's great news for Savannah! Congratulations on such a successful surgery and year. I know for us, having the surgery and getting it over with was such a relief and so much easier than the "waiting and watching" that we did for so many years prior to the surgery. I hope Willow doesn't need it but that if she does, you can find out and get it done sooner rather than later.
                    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thanks, Laurie.

Willow's facing a great unknown though I think surgery is likely in her future. If/when that happens is something that really matters.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Great interest

Pooka1..

.I have been reading your posts with great interest,

interesting to see one of your twins fused(am so happy for you it has turned out so well...I have agreed with you on so many points...it appears you nipped this thing in the bud EARLY before all the deformities..rotation etc. start coming into play. Could explain her great success.)

Whereas, the other is in a brace....??? That frustration of watching..waiting..wondering makes scoliosis so tough.

wish you all the best for both of them!!

Comment

Hope404,

Thanks for the well wishes.

We pulled the trigger on surgery as soon as possible but not before Savannah was obviously deformed. She was very rotated very early and it was obvious to all.

It is only because our surgeon is a spine artist that he got her down to 5* (from 58*) and removed most of the rotation. I suspect he wasn't sure about how much rotation he could remove because he didn't get our hopes up. That's why I was mildly shocked to see the radiographs in the hospital from the side where the two rods were virtually on top of each other. That meant she was almost completely derotated.

Some guys are just talented at what they do. We were lucky enough to find one.

For Willow, I am guessing she is looking at surgery as an adult and not as a teenager, unfortunately.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Rotation

Wow !

I was trying to find Savannah's numbers presurg. thought they were a little lower......ugh! Yes, at 58 degrees, plus rotation... besides the great surgeon, her age has got to have helped with the great results she got. If I had been in your shoes, I would have done the same thing and wasted no time getting that monster STOPPED!!!

It is so strange how some cases move like a freight train and others (my daughter's) just slowly chug along...to the same end result I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
                              Wow !

I was trying to find Savannah's numbers presurg. thought they were a little lower......ugh! Yes, at 58 degrees, plus rotation... besides the great surgeon, her age has got to have helped with the great results she got. If I had been in your shoes, I would have done the same thing and wasted no time getting that monster STOPPED!!!
                              We pulled the trigger in January 2008 when she was 48* with a documented high rate on curvature. She was 58* on the table in March 2008. Ten degress in about 2 months. It would have killed her in short order had we not gotten it fused. Note to Weiss and other people falaciously attacking surgery.

It is so strange how some cases move like a freight train and others (my daughter's) just slowly chug along...to the same end result I'm afraid.
                              Even stranger among identical twins.

I have a hypothesis that Willow might not progress further unless and until her spine starts to rotate. Her spine has very little rotation and the surgeon when on about it a bit so I'm thinking it is odd. An unrotated spine has some maximum bend to it and it may be in the 36* - 40* range that Willow currently occupies.

Still, I think it likely that Willow will be facing surgery as an adult, if not for increasing curvature but for damage/pain from simply having scoliosis for years. Nothing for it at this point.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X