Question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cathydownunder,
    I don't think creepy should take anything under our recommendation even if it won't hurt her, and it just might. She needs to get diagnosed first. Some people just don't absorb iron or they don't absorb Vitamin B12 (called pernicious anemia) in which case they need to get Vitamin B12 shots so that the iron they do take in can be utilized to make red blood cells. You can have too much ferritin in you system and still be anemic. Too much ferritin can cause a heart attack or liver failure. This is serious stuff!!!!!
    Sally
    PS: I am a retired medical laboratory technologist, so I know of what I speak!
    Also, many people in this country qualify for free medical care.
    Last edited by loves to skate; 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Umm Sally...just to clarify...my suggestion for liquid iron was in reply to Christine's post of her own confirmed diagnosis of anemia and how iron supplements don't agree with her. Merely stating that I also have some issues taking/absorbing iron and this is what works for me with no ill effects.
      As to the health care issue, once again I was replying to her own statement that she couldn't afford to see a doctor. Glad to hear there is a system is place in the U.S.A. that affords free medical care to those unable to pay.....as there should be in every country.
      Cathy
      Last edited by cathydownunder; 04-02-2009, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Cathy,

I didn't mean to come down hard on you. I was just reacting to the seriousness of Creepy's situation. If she were a patient in the hospital, with a Hct of 6 or 7, most Doctors would transfuse her with probably 3 units of packed red blood cells after first determining what was causing her anemia. If her body isn't responding to all the iron in food or tablets, chances are she doesn't have iron deficiency anemia. There are many types of anemia, some very serious and some not so serious. If she were to go to an emergency room here in Massachusetts, she wouldn't be turned away. I don't know about other states in the USA. Also, in Mass. everyone is now required to have medical insurance and many are low cost or subsidized by the State.

I hope she gets the help she needs and gets back to us. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I've tried qualifying for the state help - medicaid, medicare, MyChild when I was younger - and have been turned away because of various petty reasons. My mother made too much money (for the michild - my mother was making less than 10K a year at that time, WAY below poverty), I should apply through my job when I had one, I've got existing problems that they didnt want to pay for, etc. The normal excuses to deny someone. At least if I get a job, I can work out payment plans with my doctor, but until then..who knows.

I'm pretty sure I have an Iron deficiency anemia, and I do respond to iron supplements, it's just the pills - slowFE, ferrous sulfate, Feosol, the other various over the counter supplements - were making me throw up. They messed with my stomach something fierce, even when I took it with food. That's why I've been trying to keep an iron rich diet going for me. Two years ago was the last time I had my blood drawn, and they didn't give me an exact count as to what my HcT count was, but when I was first diagnosed at 12 it was at a 7-ish range. I am going to try magnesium supplements though for my heart, and see if that helps at all. I've been doing somewhat better lately, and I'm starting to think that maybe it might just be high blood pressure due to stress and anxiety over trying to find a job. I've been debating about sitting at a free clinic though for the whole day..those places are always packed and I probably won't even be called, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Comment

Christine,
            What state do you live in? Are the hospitals there required by the state to not turn people away who can't pay? The hospital where I worked for 25 years didn't turn people away and many times just had to swallow the cost of those who couldn't pay with some reimbursement from the state. Boy, I would sit in the free clinic all day long if there is a chance of being seen. Just stay away from anyone coughing and sneezing. Take care. I will be thinking of you.
            Sally

Comment

hi I am new here to find people that share this medical epidemic...im a 36 year old woman with scoliosis. I was just dianosed a month ago. I had to go to 4 different emergency rooms before the doctors found out what was wrong with me which is sad. The first three hospitals told me all my test were normal and sent me home with pain medication. They even took x rays and did not tell me my problem. I went a to a 4th hospital and they told me that they were going to take some xrays. i told him i had taken enough x rays. so he said he was going to call the hospital i previously went too. He came back to only tell me the hospital told him i had scoliosis. Now i'm thinking why didn't they just tell me that then and there. Now i have to pay all of these bills because i do not have medical insurance. Anyway I went to a chiropractor that specializes in scoliosis here in NY. I heard good reviews about him and spoke to some of the patients when i went to my appointments that he has helped. So I did some research. I knew I did not want surgery so thats why i tried to find someone who specializes in bracing and scoliosis. He is the only Doc here that does this. My degrees are 22 upper and 24 lower part. So i have 2 curves. When he put the brace on me my degrees change to 14 upper and 19 lower so i was happy that maybe the brace will work. I hope it works so i do not need surgery.So i would not knock all chiropractors.

I really wish you and everyone the best.

Kimmy

Comment

When I worked for a community hospital in a small town they could not turn anyone away...sometimes this is how the "self pay" patient managed to get on state insurance. One employee would take the bills of an individual and try to get them qualified. Also my father had to go inpatient for heart problems as "self pay" and they tried to get him on state insurance because of his medical bills. A sit all day at a free clinic might be worth the effort especially if there are no other options at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Creepy View Post
                  Hi, I'm new, my name is Christine and I'm 21, with 20 degree scoliosis, a "retarded" hip (thanks to my last job), a genetic anomaly where I was born with six vertebrae in my neck instead of seven and some rather..concerning problems just recently starting.

I know scoliosis causes problems breathing with the constriction and pressure on the ribcage, but lately I've been experiencing some kind of...palpitations of some sort with my heart. It comes and goes randomly, and can happen several times a day to once a week. I'll be sitting, laying down on my left side or standing doing something when all of a sudden I'll feel my heart beat slow WAY down for a few beats before speeding up like I had just gotten done with a marathon run, and I'll suddenly be out of breath, lightheaded, and on some occasions have gotten so dizzy that I thought i was going to pass out.

I should also mention I have anemia, my count is at...six or seven? I believe. I eat foods that are high in iron and carbs, cause I know if I don't eat I'll crash, but..my real question is, Is this normal for scoliosis? Does it cause such odd symptoms?
                  Hi Christine ~ sorry to hear about the palpitations and hope things are better. When i was your age, i also had those palpitations .. at the time, my doctors never said it was related to my scoliosis but rather low blood sugar. In my 30's it was discovered that i had a prolapsed valve - that was the real problem. Now, in my late 50's there are no longer any such symptoms. Certainly cannot say whether or not your symptom is scoliosis related but understand how scary they can be. If there is a free clinic in the city or town where you live, then it would be a good idea to have it checked out. Diet is important - evermore so if you are fairly active. As i remember, mine seemed to cycle monthly when i was younger - and in fact my daughter experiences them occasionally (she does not have scoliosis but is around your age, very active and runs low on the protein intake). Hope this helps and hope you can find some good medical attention - free clinics can be very good - had to use one myself a few years back when i had a cancer scare - was very glad i did.

Comment

Working...
                  X