new here with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here with a few questions

we recently took my son for his five year checkup and the doctor thinks his right side looked raised when she checkd him for scoliosis. I can't see it and she wants us to go to a pediatric orthopedist. I was wondering what i should be looking for in his back. I took pics and can post them if i can figure out how. I am new to all this and wondering if he could have been leaning funny when she checked him. thanks

Does this child have scoliosis?

It's hard to tell with pictures because of the lighting. Usually, when a child bends, one rib can be higher than another. With lumbar curves one hip can be higher than another.
    It would have helped if the doctor showed you what she meant.
    There's nothing wrong with consulting a pediatric ortho just to prove her wrong and give you peace of mind.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi...

I agree with Karen. It's difficult to tell from your pictures because of the lighting.

Here's a description of the Adams Forward Bending test:

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/40.../000068_6.html

The drawing shows someone with a fairly significant thoracic scoliosis curve. If your son has asymmetry, it would be beneficial to have him checked by an orthopaedist.

Good luck. I hope it's nothing.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The only way to tell for sure is to get an xray at the orthopedists. If there's nothing, it will put your mind at rest, definitively. If there is a curve - which may or may not be large enough to be considered scoliosis, you'll have a baseline for future years. It is WELL worth the visit to the pediatric orthopedist (ideally one who is a member of the scoliosis research society, if possible). Good luck!
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
        X