No announcement yet.

I hate wearing my brace to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephanie, you are wise beyond your years. It's wonderful that you have such a positive attitude! I love your poem.

Comment

Hey Stephanie!

I hope your brace works for you.

And I think your poem is BRILLIANT! I really love it!

sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I also like to play volley ball but I haven't tried wearing it with my brace. Can anyone please tell me if it hurts or not and will anyone notice. I usually wear a sweater when I play sports like always, but please anyone answer my question. Please try to keep it a positive answer
        SmileyGirl8
        T30
        Got my brace on March 21,2009
        Age 12
        <3

Comment

Only one in school wearing a brace?

Are there people here who are the only people who wear a brace in school? Well I am and I am going to try to make it the best as it could be.
          SmileyGirl8
          T30
          Got my brace on March 21,2009
          Age 12
          <3

Comment

I also have the same problem with wearing my Boston Brace at school. It's SO uncomfortable to sit in it the whooole day. I don't wear mine in PE, though. I wish I had a SpineCor brace, they seem so unnoticeable.

Comment

thanksss.

Thank you all for the comments on my poem. I wrote it when I was in early stages of AIS. I wish I had known how lucky I was then... It's been almost a year. That was the best spring of my life.

Stephanie. Fifteen.
              Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
              2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
              1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
              Curves are reversing in my brace!
              Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
              and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
              2 Halves.
              1 body.
              A curve.
              So what?
              Mistakes.
              They lie.
              Within.
              My spine.
              I.
              Do not.
              Match up.
              Inside.
              And outside.
              I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

my suggestion

my personal opinion is that you shouldn't really be wearing your brace to gym.
                it limits your mobility so you dont put your full effort into what your doing.
                what i do before gym, is i take it off in the nurse's office. just my opinion!

~*Hannah*~
                Hey guys!
                My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
                I feel great now!
                Pre-op = 28T and 45L
                Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

Originally posted by dancer4life View Post
                  I hate this thing and i mostly hate it when i have to wear it to school. it is very hard for me to play gym and i am currently doing volleyball in gym but the good side of it is if i get hit in the stomach with a ball i wont feel it
                  Hi!

I know EXACTLY what you mean! xD Sometimes you just want to leave the brace at home and join the sport in the breaks!
                  If you mean the gym classes, you can remove the brace while you do sports, but it's harder in the breaks because it's less time. I also have trouble with for example soccer in the breaks - especially when the weather is getting warm.

This wasn't really any good, but sometimes you need to complain :P
                  - Dina

14-year-old girl from Denmark
                  Scoliosis with 3 curves (have known since i was about 9)
                  Have worn a Boston brace since 2008

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
                  - a great quote to show that we can't let our backs and braces hold us from doing what we want! :'D

Comment

Originally posted by cactigirl96 View Post
                    my personal opinion is that you shouldn't really be wearing your brace to gym.
                    it limits your mobility so you dont put your full effort into what your doing.
                    what i do before gym, is i take it off in the nurse's office. just my opinion!

~*Hannah*~
                    Hi Hannah
                    I think you are right! It's so much harder to do sports with a brace on, and physiotherapist says the same - it's okay to take the brace off more time of the day, if it's while you do sports.
                    - Dina

14-year-old girl from Denmark
                    Scoliosis with 3 curves (have known since i was about 9)
                    Have worn a Boston brace since 2008

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
                    - a great quote to show that we can't let our backs and braces hold us from doing what we want! :'D

Comment

Originally posted by SmileyGirl8 View Post
                      Are there people here who are the only people who wear a brace in school? Well I am and I am going to try to make it the best as it could be.
                      I was the only one in my school. My brace came up to my chin and up to the back of my head. So it showed and everyone knew.

But I found that I could ignore the ignorant people who snickered. I stuck with my friends and they stuck by me

You can do this! You can even play sports with it if you have to. My doctor wouldn't let me take it off for sports, but is till played basketball. It hindered my movement for sure, but i did it.

In the end, it made me a stronger person.

You can do it!
                      Living life after a Milwaukee...
                      And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

at least you won't get hurt

Originally posted by dancer4life View Post
                        I hate this thing and i mostly hate it when i have to wear it to school. it is very hard for me to play gym and i am currently doing volleyball in gym but the good side of it is if i get hit in the stomach with a ball i wont feel it
                        that is great thinking! always think on the positive end when wearing your brace. i wore it for 2 years thru highschool. never let it stop me from doing anything. i was a cheerleader and did splits, took gym and challenged myself on everything and you can too! keep up the good attitude, one day it will be behind you like it is for me now. good luck!

Comment

yes you can do it!

Originally posted by thinkinmom View Post
                          I was the only one in my school. My brace came up to my chin and up to the back of my head. So it showed and everyone knew.

But I found that I could ignore the ignorant people who snickered. I stuck with my friends and they stuck by me

You can do this! You can even play sports with it if you have to. My doctor wouldn't let me take it off for sports, but is till played basketball. It hindered my movement for sure, but i did it.

In the end, it made me a stronger person.

You can do it!
                          it was hard for me at first but i stayed strong and it made me face challenges i never thought i could do. people did stare for a while but within a short time classmates had more respect for me because i rose above it and didn't let it get the best of me. dicipline yourself with it and it will pay off.

Comment

Working...
                          X