Tilt Table! Nursing Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Table! Nursing Home!

OK- I'm totally freaked out. Right when I think I'm all set - a new hurdle gets thrown my way. Today I found out that the dr. is recommending I stay at a rehab/nursing home facility for about 6 weeks as he wants me on a tilt table????Tell me I'm not the only one to do this! I haven't found any sites on the tilt table when I searched.
    I thought being in the hospital for an anticipated 6 days was long enough away from my family.
    I'm not sure I can emotionally do this!
    Not smilin tonight

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Hi...

I've never heard of this type of request. Do you know if there's a specific reason for the request? Who is your surgeon?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am having surgery April 6th, and my doctor (LaGrone) said about a week in the hospital and a week in rehab. Six weeks sounds like a long time. I was on a tilt table in 1981 after my first surgery because they did not get me up for over a week. I understood that the tilt table was to gradually increase my tolerance to standing. When I could tolerate 45 degree tilt for a specified amount of time, then they allowed me to try and stand up with assistance.

TerryB

Comment

Always Smilin'...Im sorry about the news....6 weeks does sound like a long time....wow! Maybe they are just giving you the worst possible senerio? Are you have posterior and anterior surgery? I did a search on tilt tables for you...here is what I found:

"A surgery table utilizing a frame member which is supported on a ground surface, A platform is connected to the frame member and includes a laterally movable portion which supports a patient. The table also includes a torso support which is connected to and moves with the laterally movable portion of the platform. A leg support rotates relative to the platform and connects to a hip support which holds the patient's hip during such rotation."

I still dont get why you would need to do that for 6 weeks? Call your doc today & make sure. If they say yes, 6 weeks, ask why so long. Im sure they will understand your not wanting to be gone from your family for that long! Let us know what they say!

Hang in there----Lynn
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Rehab post-op

I stayed 3 weeks at Kessler Rehab in Chester NJ and it was really a blessing.

It's not depressing like a hospital, pain management was great and they helped me get used to being taller, taught me how to protect my back while healing and provided all sorts of devices to use at home. It also unloaded my husband and family. Covered by insurance. Some places are better than others. Ask around and the hospital discharge planner can help.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I thought it odd too. THe hospital social worker is the one that brought my attention to it as she asked my plans for after surgery. I told her I plan on going home and she got quiet and told me to recheck with my surgeon. I called my surgeon's PA and she said that I need to find a facility with a tilt table for a 6 week stay per doctor's orders. Apparently he doesn't like to use a brace for fear I'll break out of it? so wants me at a facility. I've rechecked with the PA and the social worker. My dr. is Dr. Tribus - who has great ratings on the board (at least that I can see). So, I'm frantically hunting for a facility that can do this. There are not many facilities with this - and some that have them have too bad of ratings from the state and feds that I refuse to stay there. Talk about added stress the weeks before surgery. My bet is he has given me worst case scenario - but I won't know until then. WOuld they say 6 weeks just in case? I don't know. I suppose I could call again and doublecheck a 3rd time. WOuld it be because of my fustion? T2-L4 (they have to rework the area done before since it's bad). Does anyone know of NICE places to stay in southern WI with this tilt table? I know I haven't read of anyone else doing this on the boards - and have hunted. Maybe it's new research or something? I don't know. But I was in massive tears last night. TOnight is St. Patrick's day and I know my luck just has to change
            THanks Lynn for the info (my hubby has the picture of Frankenstein's table in his mind - Nice, huh!)
            I'll do what I need to to recover but how many loops can one be thrown for?

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

Comment

I forgot to answer a couple of questions:
              1) yes, I'm having posterior and anterior (T2-L4)
              2) the PA said that dr. doesn't want me to bend more than 30 degrees during that time for fear of the fusion not taking - she said a brace wouldn't do it
              3) I do think they are giving me worst case scenario
              4) I have requested doctor notes from our last visit so I can see what was really transcribed - but who knows how long those will take to get here
              5) I will try to recheck again - and hopefully the PA will respond to me (I know this was NOT brought up at my first appointment - and my husband can vouge for that as he was in the room - the scheduling nurse said a possiblitiy of 1-2 weeks at rehab - but in my mind - if they say "possibility" - I'm not going - I'd rather be home).

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi always...

It seems odd to me that they're insisting on a rehab with specific resources, but aren't telling you where they think you should be. Does Dr. Tribus plan on visiting you while you're in rehab?

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think another call is in order. Thanks so much for the feedback everyone - I'm so overwhelmed right now. Trying to work full time, take care of my kids, and organize things for what seems to be a chaotic surgery now is totally wearing me out! Not to mention, I got a call from Red Cross today to give my blood for pre-surgery and I need to drive an hour to them - surprises me that my clinic cannot do this. I'm so stressed tonight - but I feel like I'm on a total roller coaster - sailing along ok for a while -then I'm all consumed by what's to come and get so sad. Luckily I have friends that know that I need the jokes to keep my spirits high. THANKS ALL FOR GIVING ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO ASK, ETC.

Always Smilin'
                  Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                  right thoracic 57
                  lower lumbar 34

Comment

I know every case is different, and I know you are feeling pretty concerned and anxious right now. Just for reference, I'll tell you about mine. I am a lot older than you are-- I was 56 when I had my surgery. My fusion was T2-L4 also, was going to be A/P but at the appt. before my surgery he said he decided he could do what he wanted with just the P. I wore a TLSO brace for about 5 months post-op and was told not to bend, twist, etc. or lift anything very heavy (the weights increased with time, but it started with 5 lbs.) I did not go to a rehab place, but was in the hospital for 11 days. Arrangements were in the works for me to go to one, because by about 7-8 days it looked like there was no way I could go home (even though I was told I was doing great-- "better than most"...) but then I turned a corner and we figured since my husband could be with me at home, it would be ok. It worked.

I think part of this whole thing has to be a matter of trust in your surgeon. I have heard good things about Dr. Tribus on the forum. I am also puzzled about what he's requesting-- and why he hasn't talked with you about it. It seems like he/his office should be the ones locating a rehab center for you.

I'll be praying for your situation. I sure wish you the best as you tangle with all these questions and concerns.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Blood donation info--FYI

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
                      I think another call is in order. Thanks so much for the feedback everyone - I'm so overwhelmed right now. Trying to work full time, take care of my kids, and organize things for what seems to be a chaotic surgery now is totally wearing me out! Not to mention, I got a call from Red Cross today to give my blood for pre-surgery and I need to drive an hour to them - surprises me that my clinic cannot do this. I'm so stressed tonight - but I feel like I'm on a total roller coaster - sailing along ok for a while -then I'm all consumed by what's to come and get so sad. Luckily I have friends that know that I need the jokes to keep my spirits high. THANKS ALL FOR GIVING ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO ASK, ETC.
                      Always smilin'- you dont need to goto Red Cross to give your blood. I live in greenfield wi(Milw county) and I told them I wasnt drving an hour and a half two sep times to give blood as there was a donation center 2 mins from my house. They said I had to call the local place & ask if it was OK.....which of course it was. They just had to exchange some paper work & I was set. Give the office a call & tell them you know a recent patient who was able to donate locally rather than the Red Cross center!

Also, dont forget like I did for 2 weeks, that after you donate, you have to start taking iron suppliments to help your red blood cells for surgery. I remembered about 2 weeks afterwards & freaked out. It ended up to be OK, but perhaps it was part of the reason why I ended up loosing 6 units of blood. Just wanted to remind you!!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn - thanks for the info. Can my clinic do this or does it have to be red cross? I'm not sure what we have for red cross locally - I 'll look into it. My appt is MOnday - so I'll have to get right on it! THANKS.

I have contacted Dr. Tribus P.A. and R.N. (2 different people - 2 different days) and they both told me the same thing. He will NOT use a brace as he's seen people break through them and I need to find a facility (on my own) with a tilt table. The social worker and I are both struggling to find this - it's so frustrating! Dr. Tribus DOES NOT check on me during this 6 weeks - so it will be a FULL 6 weeks - no getting off early for good behavior. When I go back for my 6 week check up he will do an X-ray and if my bones are fusing correctly I can go home, if not it's back to rehab.

I find humor in this some days (I have a friend who says she will visit me even in Timbuktu and shoot spit wads at me - we picture me using a remote on the table to dodge the spit wads - totally something to make us laugh) and other times I just want to cry and have a very hard time focusing at work or at home.

This is just so much more than I expected - but as my mom says - 6 weeks is nothing in comparison to a lifetime of misery. (I told her there is still that potential if things go wrong - which is not the right way to look at things).

I SO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP AND UNDERSTANDING! I COULDN"T DO THIS WITHOUT YOU ALL!

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

Comment

And what if you cannot locate a rehab facility within reasonable distance that has a tilt table? Will Dr. Tribus then cancel your surgery? If I were you I would demand to speak directly to Dr. Tribus and not his PA or nurse. You as the patient have that right. I’m so sorry to hear that you are experiencing so much frustration so close to your surgery date. This is the last thing you need.

Comment

If I were you, I would skip the blood donation entirely. Blood bank supplies are really safe these days, and you don't need the additional hassle right now.

I also find it very odd that your surgeon is sending you on this eleventh-hour wild goose chase for the tilt table. I agree that you should insist on speaking to him directly. Good luck!!!!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the support. My wild goose chase may be ending. My parents found what they thought to be an excellent facility (although an 1 1/2 hours away from my family - ugh). I'm also trying to see if our local nursing home will take me - my family is willing to help donate the table. I spoke with the physical therapist and he didn't see why that would be an issue - but I need to ask the director. It would be so much nicer to be at home with family and friends than an 1 1/2 hours away. I will be speaking to Dr. Tribus about this - but if I do have my issues resolved? I may wait until after my surgery. I certainly don't want any other patient to go through this. ESPECIALLY because I was referred to 2 facilities that received subcare ratings - with over 80 state/fed violations in a 2 week time! NO THANK YOU! I still am not totally at peace. The one facility that my parents found said that legally that can't guarantee me a spot - but would hope that if I commit soon that I should most likely be able to go there - so i really need to scramble in the next few days to figure out what to do. This is so not cool!

Always Smilin'
                              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                              right thoracic 57
                              lower lumbar 34

Comment