Question re Margin of Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
    OK, here is a, ahem <cough>, hypothetical situation.
    Suppose you were told by a doctor that a curve reduced from an initial, oh say, 38 degrees to 26 degrees in brace. And then, when you carefully looked at the xrays as an amateur yourself you saw little or no reduction (0 to 3 degrees). Just suppose you then asked a different (reputable SRS) doctor to look at your measurements and he said he didnt see any issues with your amateur measurement. Note, in this hypothetical situation there is NO difference in measurement on initial angle, just inbrace angle. And further suppose, there are 3 inbrace xrays to look at.

To what would you attribute the error?

Now suppose you asked the first doctor whats up and he replied that different vertebrae were measured.

Would it not seem apparent that since you are supposed to measure the most tilted involved vertebrae that if you picked this wrong you would incorrectly get a lower value.
    That's a very interesting hypothetical situation, CD! Very interesting indeed.

I think a way forward is to ask if the most tilted vertebra changes in brace. Then, the next question is, if it does, do you still measure from the most tilted out of brace vertebra or do you just use the most tilted in brace one?

That is a question on which reasonable people might disagree, I don't know.

Now if you are saying measurements were NOT taken from the most tilted vertebra in brace then I'm going to wonder about the intellectual honesty of that brace inventor, er, I mean orthopod.

I can tell you that these types of issues seem to be "in the air" with respect to certain brace inventors. It's why some dismiss their papers.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-21-2009, 01:45 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

Now if you are saying measurements were NOT taken from the most tilted vertebra in brace then I'm going to wonder about the intellectual honesty of that brace inventor, er, I mean orthopod.
      I suppose optimistic measurements would encourage compliance, hypothetically.

Of course, it would also encourage the sale of more braces.

I can tell you that these types of issues seem to be "in the air" with respect to certain brace inventors. It's why some dismiss their papers.
      if you cant believe the numbers, how can you begin to analyze the data

Comment

Working...
      X