how bad is it not to wear your brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how bad is it not to wear your brace?

I am so mad,so let me know if i have a right to be. 4 days ago,my 12 year olds Boston brace started hurting her,she only got her brace in December but wears it 20-22 hours a day. She is very unconfortable without her brace. She cannot wear it at all from the pain. I don't feel its right the orthosis place wouldnt see her for 2 weeks,then with all my complaining she got her in another office furture away,but with the same guy,tomorrow. IS it OK to go this long without the brace? I am very afraid of it reversing what we've already done. She is very lopsided again.
    Can a few days really hurt??

Jennie

the truth

you may not want to hear this but it can hurt to take it off. Some times my back goes back from just a few hours. Every time that you take your brace off it will go back usually in most cases. if you take a few day break the progression that you have already made can be reversed. I know that sounds really really bad and actually although you may not want to hear this it is. If you take off the brace then it can reverse all of the prject that you have made. My suggestion is to wear it for as long as she can handle it take it off for a few minutes and then put it on after a few minutes, but that is the onlt thing that I have to suggest.

Cat Eyes
    Katelyn
    13 8th grade
    30 degree curve
    5 Degree Curve in Brace
    Boston Brace
    Katelyn Caralle
    14 9th grade
    Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
    Curve in brace: 0
    Boston Brace

Comment

Not an expert.

Just a lay opinion based on a small amount of reading.

Someone dope-slap me if I'm wrong.

The Boston brace does NOT claim to correct a curve. At best, the claim is it won't allow it to get worse or to at least to slow the progression or maybe decrease the final curve that would have happened had no brace been worn.

The fact that the curve reappears near to the original curve pre-bracing very quickly is to be expected and is not at all surprising.

Unless you have a VERY fast moving curve, a week or two or so out of the brace isn't going to matter at all. And if you have a fast moving curve, the brace may not be able to do anything. My one daughter's curve was moving so fast that the surgeon never thought about bracing her. That's why I think fast moving curves are known not to respond to bracing.

And then there is the camp that holds that no bracing has been shown to work. If they are right, it is really irrelevant how long she is out of the brace before the adjustment.

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks Katelyn and Sharon for your view point! I did'nt even "go there" at our appoinment today, i was just so glad to get the brace fixed. It tool 1.5 hours and its still not right,but better.

Katelyn that's great you only have a 5 degree curve with the brace on, thats fantastic!

Jennie

Comment

It hurts when you take it off?

Really it actually hirts when you take it off? Wow I thought it would be like feeling a little bit of freedome from your body. Wow I can't belive it would hurt when you take it off!
          SmileyGirl8
          T30
          Got my brace on March 21,2009
          Age 12
          <3

Comment

yes it really does,if its off for to long,her back will hurt. She's so nice and straight with it on too,I guess thats why.

Comment

Working...
            X