Interesting aspect of the SpineCor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
    The Take home message to me is that it is really difficult to discuss a technical paper unless we're able to post the entire paper.

All your questions and points are good.
    LOL
    Let me know if there is any more I can do.
    gotta reference? I can look for myself.

Comment

Just to sort of wrap this thread up, I no longer think the topic an "interesting aspect". It is just as likely BS

Comment

why the change of heart? or would you rather not disclose?

p

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
          why the change of heart? or would you rather not disclose?

p
          well, I'm not ready to write the "Why I decided to STOP bracing my daughter with the SpineCor" thread, but will someday. I did edit the first post of my SpineCor thread in the bracing forum.

But basically it boils down to my loss of faith in the researchers and their data. The revelation was prompted by conversations with you and Sharon regarding margin of error on reading Cobb angles.

In short, I believe my daughter's reported in brace correction was significantly (greater than 10 degree difference) overstated.

This is just my opinion and I am not a medical professional.

It was very disheartening to come to this conclusion. I could be wrong but we all must make up our own minds. I set the bar high on the Spinecor because of the lack of literature from folks not involved in the design of it. For me, they didnt make it over the bar.

We are now seriously considering the option of NOT bracing at all. As irritating as I may be to Pam, she has opened my eyes to the notion that the decision to brace should not be entered into lightly. The other alternative we are considering is a night brace.

Comment

Sorry you aren't getting the results that you had hoped for. Its hard to separate what is good for a population vs what is good for me. Even if the results are great for a group, you never know where you will fit into the distribution. If it isn't working for you, then its just time to move on I guess. Do the best you can do.

p

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
              Its hard to separate what is good for a population vs what is good for me.
              Unfortunately it goes deeper than that. I could come to grips with my daughter being a statistical outlier. It's the "overstatement" part of my post above that troubles me. I mean, there we were having a discussion about error bars and statistical significance and a light goes on in my head saying, and I'll put this nicely, what about researcher bias?

There is an interesting editorial style paper in this months Spine Journal. There is no abstract and I dont have the paper in front of me now. But it discussed the current state of the spine related orthopedic field and its' history of techniques and procedures that turned out to be just money making opportunities with no medical gains. As I recall, they primarily discussed questionable surgical techniques and apparatus. Very interesting. I dont know what made me think of this just now.

Comment

Weaning????

Concerned Dad,
                Always love reading your posts.
                I am interested in your reasons that you believe you can wean before risser 4-5 or before the recommended 18 months standard treatment. If I have followed correctly, your daughter is a 0, but older (14-15)??
                My daughter is NOT a typical patient...at risser 4 she was progressing rapidly even at 2 years post-menarch. So much for peak velocity growth spurt...that was done 2 years ago! According to the guidlines we were not a good candidate for Spine-cor, but made our decision for various reasons to brace. We are now approaching 1 year and doing well, and going soon for our first Out-of-brace xray. We have started discussing when we can wean, but I am leary even at a risser 4.
                Haley's Mom
                Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
                Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
                Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
                Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
                May 2008 in brace T24
                Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
                Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

Thanks for the kind word about my posts.
                  Weaning isnt the word for it, we abandoned the Spinecor.
                  Re-read my post 19 above for the extent of the details I feel comfortable sharing right now.

I dont wanrt to discourage anyone who is getting good results. But I would suggest they at least consider an independent review of their x-rays.

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
                    ... I would suggest they at least consider an independent review of their x-rays.
                    Good sugguestion! That's why we get our x-rays on disc and take them to our daughter's Ped. Ortho. He is more than happy to have them! Hopefully if something's not quite right - he'll spot it......

The more sets of eyes on my child's spine the better!!!! No matter who the DR's are! It makes me wonder why they are so eager to give us a copy of the x-rays at Ste Justine's if they are giving inaccurate info.. ?? Just a thought.
                    CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                    Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                    Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                    March 09 - in brace 14*
                    Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                    Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                    June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                    Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                    April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                    July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                    MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

You are correct. There was no problem or hesitation at all with getting the x-rays.

edit
                      Last edited by concerned dad; 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X