How/Why did you get scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinkerbell,

That would be great if someone famous would speak out about it. Especially for the younger ones. I've heard of famous people having it but haven't heard anyone speak out about it. There should be a bigger awareness.

ddr

ps - maybe you could start a separate thread and we could brainstorm about how to do this.
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

It was my parents' fault!

I've enjoyed reading these posts. Here's my reason:

I was the oldest of 5 kids so I always had to babysit. I would carry the younger children on my hip. And the laundry basket.

If my parents hadn't kept on producing children and laundry I wouldn't have gotten scoliosis!
      [SIZE="1"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

-1976 Diagnosed at 10; ignored.
      -1979 "Rediscovered" at 13 during school screenings, Boston brace too late, surgery advised. Curves approx T34/L20. Did not have surgery
      -1997 T36/L34, shots & pills for pain
      -2007 T41/L34, Wait and see
      -2008 Told by non-SRS Ortho my curve increased 15* in one year and needed surgery!
      -2009 T43/L36 Got two second opinions from SRS Orthos who said doc #1 measured wrong! Curve NOT progressing.

Comment

Another reason might be eating those pretzels... My back doc always said to eat the straight pretzels, but if there were pretzels out at a friends house, and they weren't the straight ones... I would still eat them.

*sigh*

What a fool I was.
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by ddr View Post
          I remember those trucks going up and down the streets when I was about 5 or 6 yrs.old.
          Former Mosquito Truck Chasers unite!

Um, I mean, whomever y'all are, *y'all* should unite. Responsible child that I was, I would NEVER have done anything of that nature .

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X