No announcement yet.

sleeping in a hospital bed post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that was my poor husband sleeping on the floor. Seriously though, there was no way I could have him on the bed. He's a flip-flopper when he sleeps, and early on that would have killed me. Heck, when I first came home, I used to tell people that they were 'walking too hard' in the house because the (slight) vibrations made my back hurt. Oh and then there were bumps on car rides--ick. It amazes me how much better I am now. None of that bothers me whatsoever. Well, except for the snoring

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
      Lynn, I sure hope you figure out the sleeping thing - it's still pretty new. By the way - did you ever figure out your tummy issues? This post surgery stuff stinks doesn't it....but only SHORT TERM - I hope! Keep smilin and don't give up!
      Always Smilin'
      The standing up bed....brilliant! lol Id give it a try! It could be inthe corner like you said, but on a little slant...for comfort of course! lol

The stomach issues....oh yea...I think I may have forgotten to add that into my post op apt thread. The mystery has been solved! It was/is a combo of a few things. The 1st being the fact that I didnt have as much natural lordosis before the surgery & when he corrected my spine, he was able to give me a fair amount. He said its about 3/4's of an inch more inward(torward stomach/muscles) than before & this alone will be pushing things outward...hense the reason why my stomach was hard & protruding. 2nd thing was that he said I was still slightly bloated from the surgery & perhaps still a bit swollen. So, that all made sense to me at that point. Ive been practicing sucking in my stomach each day & I now notice that I can get it in almost as far as I once used to, which is good. Also, the bloating...I feel has gone down quite a bit too. Im able to get on my low rise jeans and ALMOST button them! Before there was a 21/2 inch gap between the button & the button hole! I know they still wont ever fit the same as they now sit on my hips as they were intended, but at least I know my bloating is calming down. So, needless to say, jeans and work pants shopping is on my agenda very soon!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

A stand up bed....now there is a something to think about lol! That just cracks me up
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

matress topper

...Well...I did it! I drove myself & my 4 yr old to Kolhs & bought a 4 inch matress topper....50% off and then another 15% off....so I will use it tonite & let you know how it works! I didnt think I would be able to get the little one in & out of his car seat but, I found a way! I was so excieted!! I guess Im good to go now....I can walk 60+ mins a day(at a faster speed every few days) I can drive my car, get my kid in & out of the car & tonite....maybe even sleep in my real bed!! Yahhoooooo!!! Almost just like my old self...but lots straighter, taller & braver than before!

Again, for those who are curious about the topper, I will post tomorrow to let you know the details on my nites sleep! Wish me luck!
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,

the toppers are kind of smelly for a few days. We got ours last summer and the first 2 nights I couldn't sleep in the room.

Comment

Smelly eh? Maybe I will hang it up outside or douse it w/body spray 1st!
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I'll make sure my stand up bed comes odor free You guys give me great ideas!

Lynn- I'm glad you're progressing well. I hate the idea of getting natural lordosis - my tummy protrudes enough as it is. I was going to ask Dr. Tribus if he could lypo a little out of my tummy and buttocks since he'll already be cutting there Think he'll go for it - a rod and a tuck for the price of 1!

I hope I'm not offending anyone with my TOTAL jokes - it's just my way of coping out of stress. It drives my dad absolutely crazy! But if I can't laugh - I'll end up crying and that's no fun!

Hope you have sweet dreams tonite Lynn.
                Always SMilin'

Always Smilin'
                Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                right thoracic 57
                lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hey....if you cant have a sense of humor, we'd all be cryin' most of the time! And besides....people w/out Scoliosis & fusions wouldnt understand the humor anyway! We gotta stick together!

Ok- its 7:17am CST on Thursday. Ive been up since 5:55. My husbands alarm woke me up then 2 seconds later my lower back made sure I was going to stay awake. I did make it through the whole nite in my real bed w/the topper & it was nice to sleep on. I also got to snooze for a little bit on my right side. I was to afraid of falling of the bed tho, so that didnt last long--BUT it felt nice. Overall...I guess I was hoping it would have relieved some of my lower back pressure though. 98% of the time I am sleeping on my back & Im sure after awhile, keeping all the pressure there, is going to make the hardware cranky!! Im always complaining I know...I want the cake & to be able to eat it too...Im so selfish! Either way, I did sleep the whole nite there, with the hubby, so it did feel good. Im going to try again today, to make sure it wasnt a fluke! If it happens again, tomorrow that nasty hospital bed is history folks!!!!
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
                    I'll make sure my stand up bed comes odor free You guys give me great ideas!

Lynn- I'm glad you're progressing well. I hate the idea of getting natural lordosis - my tummy protrudes enough as it is. I was going to ask Dr. Tribus if he could lypo a little out of my tummy and buttocks since he'll already be cutting there Think he'll go for it - a rod and a tuck for the price of 1!

I hope I'm not offending anyone with my TOTAL jokes - it's just my way of coping out of stress. It drives my dad absolutely crazy! But if I can't laugh - I'll end up crying and that's no fun!

Hope you have sweet dreams tonite Lynn.
                    Always SMilin'
                    Funny that you mention the lipo! I said some of the same thing to my hubby right before they took me in. I was wondering if they would be able to grab some of my stomach fat and redeposit it into my butt & then, do a little tummy tuck after! Sounded like an excellent idea to me..but to my dismay..I still have the tummy fat & a flat booty! LOL I tried!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Debbie you reminded me that when we got the tempurapedic it had a real chemical kind of smell and we thought we would never be able to sleep because of it. I can't remember how long it lasted but obviously it wasn't that long or bad because I have had the bed for 4 years and didn't even remember that it smelled until I saw your email.
                      avis
                      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                        Debbie you reminded me that when we got the tempurapedic it had a real chemical kind of smell and we thought we would never be able to sleep because of it. I can't remember how long it lasted but obviously it wasn't that long or bad because I have had the bed for 4 years and didn't even remember that it smelled until I saw your email.
                        avis
                        Hi Avis,

yes, it was a strong chemical smell, and lasted 2 or 3 days. That first day was absolutely the worst.

Lynn,

Did your topper have that smell? Mine was a Serta, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Comment

I didnt notice but Paul is the one who took it out of the box and set everything up. If it did smell, it didnt come thru the sheets. I shall consider myself lucky!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn-
                            I'm glad that you finally got to sleep in your own bed You really have made a considerable amount of gains in a short time. I'm impressed. Reading about people like you give me hope for my recovery. Driving, taking care of your kids, sleeping in your own bed ALL HUGE!
                            Sweet dreams!

Always Smilin'
                            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                            right thoracic 57
                            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

i realized that you are 2 months from your surgery and I am only 3+ weeks, but I can't imagine driving to a store and then functioning and doing something after. It's fantastic that you are doing so well and gives me some kind of guide for my self although I know better than to measure my recovery against someone else's recovery. Enjoy your topper and send that hospital bed back to where it came from.

avis
                              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Always smilin'--thanks for the kinds words! I do feel Im doing quite well...and honestly, it took me by suprise. It all kind of happened fast. One day I said, OK, enough feeling sad & sorry for myself, lets do this!! One by one, I tried new things! I dont regret the surgery at all! And I had an ok night last nite. I did get up a few times to re adjust, but all in all, I think Im ditchin' the hospital bed today!

Avis! Thanks to you as well! Youre 3 weeks...I bet by the 4th or 5th week, you will be feeling great too! Fingers crossed! I was so happy I was able to drive & get Zack in & out of his car seat! I also went clothes shopping that day too & bought some stuff I would have NEVER even thought of wearing pre op, due to my being twisted & uneven. I really feel like my old self again & Im just so happy!! The only thing Im not looking forward to is my return to work on April 8th! UGH! I hope you continue to recover nicely! Keep us all posted & have yourself a great weekend!
                                Lynn -30.... something
                                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
                                X