White blood cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cringed just reading this thread.

Take good care Ed. Surely you have the right to be well now, for the rest of your life. You've done your time.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Brad.

My abdomen is distended and sore. I'm filtering the anesthesia out of my system. The anesteologist did a good job and added more antiemetic to the mix. due to me being a vomitron.

It is important to address the fact that you are fused if doing a surgery on anesthesia. I did get on the operating table myself however, when they moved me off the table, they wrenched my neck and shoulder and of course things are sore now. Someone lifted my head with enough force to knock things out of alignment.

I wish they would use a scooper or similar device to transfer off the table. Similar to what the paramedics use out in the field to pick up someone who has been traumatized. It really isn't all that difficult. Its the engineering at the table companies.

I don't feel as bad as the whooped roman statue in my post # 38. I have more parts than him. LOL

Have you been to the Hearst Castle? You are in Lancaster, that's not too bad of a drive. Its a neat place. A testimonial to the brilliance of Julia Morgan's engineering talents and WR Hearst's art picking talent. I believe that he acquired about 40% of the worlds artwork. He knew that it would be invaluable and it is. They have no insurance, they have a fire dept at the castle, and they patrol all the time 24 hrs 365 days per year. I've done all the tours. I've bought and read all the books.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/art/Sarcophagus.asp

Ck out the detail! Its also outside.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I had to ask the expert (my wife) if I have been, she says no, so its probably a no. She wants to go again sometime, she went as a child, but wants to go back.

One place I do want to go to is the Ice Hotel. I'd love to spend a night in there.
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Mary Lou

Stones plural? How many? Did she pass any? How big are they? Her bear traps up high must have been killer!

I had the kidney stone happen before my fusion surgery and I kept repeating that my back was killing me over and over and over. When the nurse came she gave me a choice, which I don't remember. I just told her to knock me out. No vicoden, just knock me out with a shot!!! I needed all my systems shut off. Kill the lights now!

I don't know if I could handle another stone seriously. My blood pressure when the stone passed was scary high. It was quite the event let me tell you. Its the boulders that can kill you, some people pass sand size every day.

I had a laser lithotripsy. That's where they go up "the hard way" and laser it in smaller chunks and pull out in a cage. They can go all the way up to the kidney. Sometimes they use stents for a few days and pull out later. Its quite some distance, you know, they basically have a fishing reel down at the end of the table.

My urologist scares the hell out of me. Were talking tricky stuff here. I mean, who is the Doctor a guy needs to trust the most? All it takes is one slip and voice change becomes permanent. I went a had a KUB (kidney,urinary,bladder)x-ray at the hospital, came back and he looked for 1 second and said "I have to go in, any questions" Of course my urinary tract knowledge at that time consisted of plumbing terminology I learned at home depot. My first surgery you know? and he has to go in? "UHHH WHERE DOC" ????

He kind of looks like Adam Sandler also. Our discussion should have been filmed. LOL

I'm very picky about what I eat now, and I think its understandable. I've lost 15 lbs in the last 9 weeks and love the food I'm eating. Standard American breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, coffee is probably the worst thing you can put in your mouth. If food last more than 4 days, don't eat it. I'm done with the chemicals and food colorings.
          My hair dressers daughter had gall stones at age 12.

Apples have pectin which supposedly reduces stone diameters. An apple a day keeps the Doctor away is learned in kindergarten. This diet stuff needs enforcement!

Immune systems need to be up to snuff these days with all these new things like "swine flu" That's probably the main thing here along with vigorous washing of hands for 5 minutes, and general sanitary protocol.

Lunch time in school should include dietary class also. Gym is mandatory right, well we are shutting down schools and losing productivity due to people getting sick. Diet and food class should be mandatory in school. The billions of dollars that are funneled into pharmaceutical companies with insurance drug dollars should be used for thing of this nature. Grow our own crops here, not import them. We import too much as it is.

Keep me at bay on Jamie's stone dilemma. There are plenty of renal sites on-line. Tons of them
          Ed
          Hi Ed,

Yes plural! I'm not sure how many, but she has stones in both kidneys. I'm not sure how large the stone are. I'll be sure to ask. She had a repeat urine test on Thursday, which shows everything isn't completely cleared up yet. She goes back this Thursday and there is talk of a repeat CAT scan in a week or two. They've explained that we might need to try medication to break up the stones.

As pleasant as your experience sounds I sure hope she can avoid going through what you have. I can sit here and picture you in the doctor's office when he explained what he needed to do to you. I'm sure your first reaction was to cross your legs and protect everything. What's your phone number......I want to hear for myself just how high your voice is right now.

Amen on the dietary issues at school. Jamie's doctor tells her she needs to drink more water. I told him she drinks Propel water with her lunch and water with dinner and mostly water in between once she is home. I told him that the health classes in school teach the kids that they need to drink x number of ounces of water per day, and yet they aren't allowed to have a water bottle in school! I asked for and received a note from the doctor allowing Jamie to have a water bottle in school and he added that she should be allowed to use the restroom as needed.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully you and Jamie are both on the road to recovery. I'll share your diet tips with her.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Poor Jamie and poor Ed ... :=( Mary Lou, that's awful to imagine helplessly watching your kid go through that!

But, heaven help me, I can't stop laughing at "vomitron". Ed, you're twisted (no, not literally ... anymore). I love that in a person! And now you're mentoring that poor innocent Brad fellow () ... where will it stop?
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

No end of suffering.

No justice in this universe.

The entire game is in how you handle it.

Ti Ed has raised handling adversity and affliction to a Zen Art. It's a mental strength some folks have.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                And now you're mentoring that poor innocent Brad fellow () ... where will it stop?
                Hey! I am innocent!! Or was anyway...

There I was, living in Canada, as peaceful and serene a life as you could have, living in my igloo, hunting with my sled dogs and eating whale blubber sandwiches, when all of a sudden this sultry vixen lures me into the US and ensnares me into her web with her sultry vixeny behaviour. Its really not my fault, I'm blaming my wife entirely.

Brad
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                  (snip)

[...] her sultry vixeny behaviour. (snip)

Good one.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Nanook,

You are innocent, at least at the present moment. Now I've been to Canadia a few times. In fact almost every year there for a while, and I must say that you blokes really know how to party! I honestly don't think I could survive another trip. Well, just give me a few more days for my swelling to go down, and I will think about it.

I have a friend who has an island in the St Lawrence river and its nicknamed "devils island". On one of the trips, my back was completely trashed and I had to find a Chiropractor right away. What a fiasco, after the hike through the woods,(crab walk) several mile boat trip up the river,(standing up in the stern) and car ride, I visited a chiro in Brockville, On. He was nice enough to see me, but he was afraid to touch me. He used his ultrasound machine and only performed "the basic" chiro moves. He saved me, but boy those trips up there can be toughies. I should start a thread on "scoliosis and scotch" "The Seagram's method" Let me tell ya, I've done the studies! along with my Canadian buddies.

I must lift my rating on cholecystectomy up a notch. I've been sleeping like a log...........................
                    Over and out
                    Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Nanook,

You are innocent, at least at the present moment. Now I've been to Canadia a few times. In fact almost every year there for a while, and I must say that you blokes really know how to party! I honestly don't think I could survive another trip. Well, just give me a few more days for my swelling to go down, and I will think about it.
                      Yeah, as a youth I partied a little too much. So much so that even the smell of rum and I start to gag. Which makes it difficult to make my tiramasu.

I have a friend who has an island in the St Lawrence river and its nicknamed "devils island". On one of the trips, my back was completely trashed and I had to find a Chiropractor right away. What a fiasco, after the hike through the woods,(crab walk) several mile boat trip up the river,(standing up in the stern) and car ride, I visited a chiro in Brockville, On. He was nice enough to see me, but he was afraid to touch me. He used his ultrasound machine and only performed "the basic" chiro moves. He saved me, but boy those trips up there can be toughies. I should start a thread on "scoliosis and scotch" "The Seagram's method" Let me tell ya, I've done the studies! along with my Canadian buddies.
                      Is that one of the Apostle Islands? With a lighthouse on it?

That does sound like quite a trip! I've never heard of the Seagram's method, you might consider patenting that, publish some papers, set up some clinics and who knows? Maybe one day you'll have people shilling that method here!
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

Not the Apostle islands,the Lindsay islands, part of the Admiralty group near Kingston and Ganaoque. Its very similar to the movie"On golden pond" if you remember that one. Henry Fonda and Katherine Hepburn. Driving a boat around rocks will drive one to drink, along with old chotchety professors and attorneys.

Shilling the Seagram's method? That's a method that doesn't need any help with sales! Only unproven or controversial methods need that kind of support. I'm not supportive of alcohol or drugs. I've found that they just don't help things at all. Im an evolved teetotaler now, and have been for quite some time.

At 4 days post gall bladder surgery, I'm pretty darn good I might say. I think this is it. I'm done with my surgical wave of the last 2 years. It was just a little set-back and I'm thankful and have more appreciation for life. Its a change that happened and I'm so grateful that it happened. I have zero back pain now.
                        Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                        X