White blood cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White blood cells

In the past, I have mentioned that I was sick and have not been feeling well. Coughing and sneezing and vomiting have been the norm. Even with being "battle hardened", these are indicators that something is wrong and I guess I should take them a little more seriously.

With my anterior surgery, after putting the jigsaw puzzle back together, I have had blockage problems in my intestines. When this happens, your CNS sends pain signals right to your back, which means 9 level pains, (hell, I'm used to it) and also triggers saliva production. Saliva has enzymes to protect the esophagus and stomach. This triggers the vomiting, and my body is saying, "were blocked up down here, no more food!)

After a fun evening of pain without opiates, I went down to the hospital last night due to my constipation, and x-lax not working. The first thing they do is check your blood. My white blood cell count is through the roof and the Doc told me that I have something going on here and not to ignore this, I have something wrong.I also have this hard lump on my left side. They gave me Magnesium Citrate oral solution to unblock my intestines, and yes it worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cells

So I guess I will probably be seeing my vascular surgeon here next week. I am not looking forward to this.

No comedy today folks
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Good luck, Ed. I'm sorry you are in such pain. I have confidence the doctors can fix you.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

So sorry to hear about this, Ed. I'm praying for you-- and for wisdom for your doctors. Please keep us updated. Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        In the past, I have mentioned that I was sick and have not been feeling well. Coughing and sneezing and vomiting have been the norm. Even with being "battle hardened", these are indicators that something is wrong and I guess I should take them a little more seriously.

With my anterior surgery, after putting the jigsaw puzzle back together, I have had blockage problems in my intestines. When this happens, your CNS sends pain signals right to your back, which means 9 level pains, (hell, I'm used to it) and also triggers saliva production. Saliva has enzymes to protect the esophagus and stomach. This triggers the vomiting, and my body is saying, "were blocked up down here, no more food!)

After a fun evening of pain without opiates, I went down to the hospital last night due to my constipation, and x-lax not working. The first thing they do is check your blood. My white blood cell count is through the roof and the Doc told me that I have something going on here and not to ignore this, I have something wrong.I also have this hard lump on my left side. They gave me Magnesium Citrate oral solution to unblock my intestines, and yes it worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cells

So I guess I will probably be seeing my vascular surgeon here next week. I am not looking forward to this.

No comedy today folks
        Ed
        Oh Ed, I'm so sorry to hear this; you've been through so much already. I hope they can figure it out good and quick and that it is something simple. I'm glad the solution worked for you. Please let us know what happens. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thinking of you, Ed. Keep the faith!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Ed, so sorry to hear this! Try the best to keep up the fun, positive attitude of yours! Your in my thoughts!

Rachel

Comment

Ed,
              Hope everything turns out ok for you.
              dd
              dd
              57 yr. old female
              Pembroke Pines, FL
              No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
              2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                My surgeon prescribes antibiotics before every dental procedure for 5 years after surgery -- but this makes me wonder if it's prudent to take them before ANY procedure for a longer length of time.......
                Thats funny, I just had my teeth scraped at the Periodontist without Amoxicillan. Im feeling a little better, but still have something going on, virus,or infection.

This is the first time I have been sick after my operations. Its funny how the pain gets magnified with scoliosis.

Ed
                Last edited by titaniumed; 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM.

My x-rays

Comment

Ed- total bummer....Im really sorry to hear about your new found situation. Keeping your spirits high along w/your awesome sence of humor will help! We're all thinking of you........take care.
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                  At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                  At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                  Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital
                  **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

You guys are great.

Its good to brainstorm, its the best way to reach conclusions. Thanks Chris, for reminding me about the antibiotic dental thing. We all know quite a bit, its just forgetting everything that's a problem as we get older.

Having surgery or being sick requires careful thought. Of course that careful thought is needed during the most critical times.
                    Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I really hope you figure out what's wrong and start feeling well soon.

Hang in there,
                      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi Ed,

I hope things get better soon. Have you ever tried this stuff?

https://web0.herbdoc.com/index.php?o...Ggodp2j1aw&c=1

I've had problems with constipation since I was a kid. Nothing worked for me after my surgery except this. If you do try it, make sure you take it on a full stomach. It will make you sick otherwise. It's also a lot cheaper on eBay.

Shell
                        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                        2003- 33 degrees
                        2005- 37 degrees
                        2006- 44 degrees
                        May 2007- 47 degrees
                        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                        Fused T1 to L2
                        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Also, I defy anyone to eat one of those Fiber One bars and not "go." Those things are crrrrrazy.
                          Chris
                          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I love Fiber 1 Bars--I eat one or 2 a day--chocolate chip. (Only 2 Weight Watcher points!) I guess if that's the case I'd be in a bad place without them.
                            Ed--Hope you find some answers to your problems and are back to your cheery self soon. I follow your posts with interest since in 3 weeks I too will be T2-pelvis. I don't see too many of us on here that get that great long scar. I'm thinking of getting it tatooed later so it all looks like a great big zipper! Ha! Take care. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Get well

Ed,

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I certainly hope that they can figure out quickly what is going on.

To Everyone:

Out of curiosity.....I know everyone has trouble with constipation post surgery due to the meds and such. However, prior to surgery have many of you suffered with constipation all the time? I have for a number of years and looking back I wonder if it's because of my scoliosis. Trust me, I eat lots of fiber and drink 1 gallon of water every day. Yes 1 whole gallon folks, I never joke about my water intake. Habits from bodybulding days. I would love to know what the polls say lol...

Again, Ed, good luck and try and take care of yourself!!!
                              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X