Removing Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I had surgery 3/17 and returned home yesterday, it was suppose to be 2-3 days in hospital but since I had an infection my doctor called in a plastic surgeon to close me up which they put in 3 drains so I had to stay in longer. So far recovery from this surgery is much easier. I haven’t have any pain meds since Sunday night my legs and ankles are a little swollen. I had a picc line put in my arm and I will be on iv antibiotics for 6 weeks I am also taking oral antibiotics. I already have a yeast infection from antibiotics. Visiting nurses came by this morning and said I have two swollen parts on my back and now the plastic surgeon wants me to come to his office to check out. I was just there yesterday he should have looked at my back before I was discharged from hospital now I have to travel an hour to see him.
    Hopefully everything will be all right
    Sue

Comment

Sue,

I hope all goes well on your trip to see the plastic surgeon again. I'm sorry you have to go through all that after just being discharged.

Let us know what happens.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sue: Glad to hear this was a much easier surgery for you. You've sure been through a lot. Hope your recovery goes well. Take Care.

Comment

Sue-- it sure was good to hear from you-- thanks for posting! It sounds like mostly things are going pretty well. Let us know what the plastic surgeon says. Sorry you have such a long drive to see him. I hope the long course of antibiotics does the trick. And good luck with the pesky yeast infection business. At least they have easier ways to treat them these days than in the past... The last time I had one my doctor prescribed a "one pill" remedy that worked great.

Take care and keep us posted on how it's going for you. Hugs, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

update

I went to the doctor yesterday, he said it common to have fluid build up but he had to drain the fluid in my back and said I may have to get it drained again a couple more times and I was told to wear an brace to put pressure on my back to keep pressure to reduce fluid build up. I dont have much pain in my back there is mostly pinching and itching which the nurse said is normal and I am feeling very good.

Comment

Sue,
              From what I remember, I was out of work for about a month after the removal. I didn't have any hardware replaced and had no infection problems or complications. For me, day 2 is always worse, but I was out of hospital within 7 days (only 8 days for having the rod put in originally) and was on pain meds for a couple of weeks.
              I wish you good luck for your surgery.
              Claire

Comment

Working...
              X