Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotrel-Dubousset rods - 20 years on - any limitations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotrel-Dubousset rods - 20 years on - any limitations?

I had fusion and Cotrel-Dubousset rods for scoliosis done at the Royal Children's Hospital in Adelaide (Australia) nearly 20 years ago now. Of course being a callow youth at the time I have little memory of the extent of the fusion (maybe T4 or T5 to L2?)

I'm very happy to say that I've experienced next to no lingering effects from the procedure, apart from loss of sensation in one dermatome (which I hardly even think about) and the scar, of course (which I try not to think about!).

But now I'm in my early thirties, and I'm doing some exercise to combat the inevitable slowing metabolism and waistline spread >_< Up until now I've never done more than light treadmill work, but I was considering things like sit-ups and light weights for some toning. I made a booking with a physical trainer to get a program set up for me, and unsuprisingly, he was absolutely stumped when he asked me to bend over during the body assessment and was faced with my lumbar hump Now he's very nervous about getting me to do anything at all!

I was never told that there would be any particular limitations after surgery but I guess I've always tended to avoid things like heavy lifting/stretching etc for common sense reasons. Does anyone know if there are any particular gym activities I need to avoid? Any advice appreciated by my waistline!

I have the Herrington rods... and I have had them for over 25 years now.

I have a 20 pound weight limit. I am also not allowed to do anything that jars... no roller coasters, which I could care less about, but then they said no horseback riding... and that stunk. I tried to pick up riding again a couple of years ago, I was sure that enough time had passed, but it led to complications, so I had to give it up again.

When I go to the gym, I use the nautilis equipment, free weights jerk too much. On the machines that support the torso, I am allowed to lift as much as I can. I also do passive resitance training, the ones that use your own body weight as resistance. I love my balet bar, which I use for flexibility.

Actually, my gym has an apparatis where you step up into it, and your feet dangle... your back is supported, and then you do kind of a reverse sit up, and while it's hard it really works.

As for the belly part, watch your portion sizes when you eat and drink plenty of water.

Cynthia
    Last edited by cyndawn; 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X