Bowling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling?

I, I am a newbie here and have a question. My son's passion in life right now is bowling. He is on the high school team as well as other leagues. He is have a spinal fusion from T4 to T14 on April 2, 2009. The doctor has told him no bowling for one year. He is unhappy about this, but can live with it. My question is to any bowler out there that has had the surgery, did your style for bowling change with the procedure? My son is a good bowler, averaging about 190 and I wonder if he will need new equipment or anything after the year is up. Seems trivial, but it is his "football" and he spends bowls about 30-40 games a week right now.

My son is 15 and diagnosed with scoliosis at age 5. He started wearing a brace in the 3rd grade and wore it well for the first few years. Once he hit Jr. High it became a big issue. Now in 10 grade he is facing surgery. We are 250 miles away from the hospital where the procedure will be done and I am busy trying to figure out how everything works and what I need to do before we hit April 2. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sherry

Originally posted by SherryM View Post
    I... My son's passion in life right now is bowling. He is on the high school team as well as other leagues. He is have a spinal fusion from T4 to T14 on April 2, 2009. The doctor has told him no bowling for one year. He is unhappy about this, but can live with it. My question is to any bowler out there that has had the surgery, did your style for bowling change with the procedure?
    Welcome, Sherry ...

I had to laugh at "this is his football". Whatever they enjoy, and whatever keeps them busy, also keeps them out of trouble! It's all good! ;-)

Although I bowl a few times a month, I'm not anywhere near your son's level.

What I wanted to tell you is a fusion from T4-T12 will have very little (if even any noticeable) effect on his mobility. I'm fused down to L1 and I don't even really notice it.

Softball (slow and 18+ fastpitch) is my "football" (this spring I'll be back playing 8-10 games a week again), and it didn't change my swing or throw a bit. Neither did it change my golf swing.

I think the most important thing he can do to prevent a style change is to keep his legs strong through recovery, and work on his core when the surgeon gives the okay. As long as he keeps his body in balance until he can bowl again, he should do fine.

Best wishes on his surgery!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks for the insight Pam. I will pass this information on to John and I am sure he will feel better! He is also worrying about playing pool....ahhh the mind of a 15 year old boy He is a good kid and I am glad I can hopefully ease his mind a bit.

Comment

You probably have all the information you need by now, but I thought I'd just add that I had my surgery a year ago next week and have been able to bowl since 10 months post-op. I was fused to T3 and I am still able to bowl very easily as far as mobility goes. I think most of the problem lies in the weight of the ball since there is a weight restriction for quite some time. But he'll eventually be bowling easily again...the hardest part is going to be the waiting until he gets clearance. Anyway, I thought I'd add that to help ease his mind or whatnot. Not sure about the pool...if anything, that just might be uncomfortable for a while because of the leaning over.

And btw, tell him that a 190 is absolutely amazing!! I went with friends tonight and I bowled a 78. Lol.
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

I worked at a bowling center when I had my surgery (all through high school and college). Even though I was not supposed to bowl with my body cast on, I did(6 months post op). He will want to start back with a 10 pound bowling ball and gradually increase in weight as he gets his strength back. My average was higher after my surgery - I went from 120 to 160 average. As a former bowling coach, I can tell you his form will look better postop. He will keep his back straight and bend his knee more which is better! In his time off, have him work on keeping his legs strong. I would have him ask his doctor again at about 6 months postop about starting back bowling. My daughter was allowed to start back dancing at that time and dancers go through more exercises than bowlers!
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
          X