Can a Cheneau brace be adjusted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Cheneau brace be adjusted?

We just had the in-brace x-ray on our daughter's second brace. The results showed that the brace was making minimal correction to her curves. Does anyone have experience where a brace has be satisfactorily adjusted so that it does produce increased correction?

I also would like to know if anyone else has had experience with a Cheneau brace that was fabricated using the computer optical scanner technique instead of the plaster body cast? I am asking the later question because the auto CAD scanner was used to make this recent brace.

Since she just had her in-brace x-ray and will not have another x-ray for 4-5 months, we are now concerned how changes can be made to this brace to help her without being able to check the correction with a new image.
    Daughter 17.5 (diagnosed @ 12 yrs) in Sept 2007 AIS
    Oct 2007: T-20, L-20 [160 cm]
    Mar 2008: T-24, L-24 [163 cm], started Cheneau brace
    May 2008: T-16, L-7 (in-brace) [164.2 cm]
    Oct 2008: T-23, L-15 (out-of-brace) [167 cm]
    Feb 2009: T-20, L-18 (in-brace) 2nd brace
    Jun 2009: T-20, L-16 (in-brace) [172.2 cm]
    Dec 2009: T-33, L-16 (out-of-brace) [173.8 cm]
    Apr 2010: T-25, L-12 (in-brace) [175.3 cm] 3rd brace
    Mar 2011: T31, L20 (out) [176.2]
    Jul 2012: T31, L20 (out) [177.2]

yes

it is possible to put extra pads in the brace. You will have to contact your brace maker.

Comment

Hi 2Kids,

My daughter had her Cheneau made based on the scanner, not a cast. It was made about 3 months ago by Luke at Orthotic Solutions who I am guessing you see based on your location. Her 35 degree curve is corrected to 3 degrees in the brace (yes, 3, that is not a typo). She is young and very flexible.

I can't say why your daughter is not getting a good correction but I would give Luke a chance to fix it if he thinks he can. Our experience with him has been very good, and from what I've read and heard of others' experience, he has an excellent reputation. If you haven't had a chance to really talk to him about it, put in a call. I've found him to be very responsive and up front.

You are understandably concerned about wanting to verify any improved correction. While extra exposure to x-ray obviously is not desirable, I would guess that your doctor would order another xray if you wanted it. Because you are just checking the correction, I also would think your daughter's pelvic area could be completely shielded with a lead skirt unless it would interfere with seeing the correction.

I hope you can work this out so you get some peace of mind. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything more about our experience with the Cheneau and/or the orthotist.
      mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
      Providence night brace, increased to 35*
      Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
      14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
      Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
      currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Working...
      X