Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse 10 weeks post op

Hi everyone,
    Jesse had an appointment yesterday and I figured I'd check in. His doctor said everything looked good. Jesse's right on track. I noticed in Jesse's xrays from right after surgery compared with his xrays from his January appointment, that his spine looked "slanted". His spine itself is straight, just slanted. (I tried posting the pictures, but I'm having trouble). Well, it is! The doc said it was just Jesse's body "trying to center itself; the eyes always want to centered over the body"
    Nothing new on restrictions, still slowly work up to 20 pounds max over the next 2 months. He also told Jesse he can do more exercises to build the muscles in his shoulders and upper back area. In addition to the shoulder shrugs, he can do side arm raises, front arm raises, things like that.
    So, it went well.
    Bethany

Excellent news, Bethany. I'm always interested in the difference between surgeons and what they allow for weight and restrictions and the way they explain post-op healing and recovery. Sounds like Jesse is right on track.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Wonderful news!!!

I can't believe it's already 10 weeks for you guys! That seems like it has flown by. Crossing my fingers I feel the same way when it's actually me living it.
      Becky
      Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
      Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by babachi View Post
        Hi everyone,
        Jesse had an appointment yesterday and I figured I'd check in. His doctor said everything looked good. Jesse's right on track. I noticed in Jesse's xrays from right after surgery compared with his xrays from his January appointment, that his spine looked "slanted". His spine itself is straight, just slanted. (I tried posting the pictures, but I'm having trouble). Well, it is! The doc said it was just Jesse's body "trying to center itself; the eyes always want to centered over the body"
        Nothing new on restrictions, still slowly work up to 20 pounds max over the next 2 months. He also told Jesse he can do more exercises to build the muscles in his shoulders and upper back area. In addition to the shoulder shrugs, he can do side arm raises, front arm raises, things like that.
        So, it went well.
        Bethany
        Congratulations to you both, Bethany! Hard to believe it's been 10 weeks.

Comment

That's good news. I can't believe it's been 10 weeks for you and Jesse.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations for your successful visit! It's always a relief to have positive feedback at those visits, I know. Even if things don't seem as perfect to my eyes, I breathe a little deeper when the appointment is over.

Our surgeon also always talks about Alexander's body's need to center itself. He always checks the "plum line" from the top of the spine to the middle of the hips to make sure Alexander is centering itself (his spine was fused with curves because of the hemivertebra.)

Has the surgeon recommended physical therapy to build strength? It has really helped Alexander and he now has a whole weight-lifting routine that he manages to do 1-2x per week.
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
            X