Location of incision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of incision?

I'm just curious, my daughter had two curves, Thoracic & lumbar, with rotation. Her surgery was a posterior fusion, with the incision down the center of her back. Has anyone had a fusion, with access going into the side? I know of someone with only a lumbar curve facing surgery, and they were told the dr. would go in through the side, and that there might be a risk of one leg shorter than the other, also. I can't picture this. To me, access from the center of the back would be the most ideal. (better access, view, less involvment with muscles) ??? Is this common? My daughter had a great outcome with her surgery. Her shoulders are level, her hump is gone, her hips are level, head is straight, & her legs are even! Any thoughts or input

Side access incisions are typically done for anterior fusions. Anyone having an anterior fusion will have an incision along their side. Sometimes a lumbar fusion needs anterior access to stabilize the spine better than "just" posterior fusion. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X