Nervous About New Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous About New Brace

Hi! I'm 9 years old and just last week I found out I have to get a Boston Brace. I'm really worried that I won't be able to fall asleep. Any advice?

sleeping in brace

I have had my brace since I was 11. I have never had any trouble sleeping in my brace at all. In the summer it gets a little hot, but we don't have air conditioning.

Comment

Thanks!

That makes me feel a whole better. I'm getting my brace on March 12 so my mom said not to worry that long.

Comment

Hi Rosebud9,

My daughter who is 7 1/2 NEVER had any trouble falling asleep in her brace from day 1. And she manages her brace during the day just fine as well. It's doable, so don't worry.
        mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
        Providence night brace, increased to 35*
        Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
        14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
        11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
        Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
        latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
        currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

well im not sure what it is like in a bosten brace because i wear a TLSO but once in a while you will have truble sleeping

Comment

The Boston brace is a type of TLSO, as is the Cheneau which my daugher wears...
            mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
            Providence night brace, increased to 35*
            Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
            14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
            currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Help

hey, my name is Katelyn, I am 13 years old and have had my brace for a few months. I had the same worries that you did. I was afraid of everything, but I learned that it isn;t as bad as i thought. I too, have a boston brace. It is difficult the first few nights to sleep with it on, but in about 3 days you are so used to it, you don;t even thing about it.
              Something that helped me what a plush pillow that I put under my back. It is most comfortbale to sleep on your back instead of on your stomache or back.
              Good luck with your brace, I wish you the best. Believe me the brace may seem scarey and intimidating, but once you get it, you sometimes forget that it is even there. GOOD LUCK!!

Katelyn
              Cat Eyes
              Katelyn Caralle
              14 9th grade
              Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
              Curve in brace: 0
              Boston Brace

Comment

its OK

My advice is don't worry about it.
                Bracing isn't the most fun part of life as a scoliosis patient, but it is definately worth it
                When I was told that I needed a Boston brace, I cried. But before I got the brace, my degrees were around 37. After 1 year, my curves are staying around 25 degrees.
                If your brace truly bothers you, check out this site at http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1895.html
                there's this new surgery that replaces a back brace that even I want.
                but still try the brace for a bit and get used to it.

Keep it up!
                -Hannah
                AKA: cactigirl96
                Hey guys!
                My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
                I feel great now!
                Pre-op = 28T and 45L
                Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

oh really

Thanks for the advice everyone, but cactigirl96 aka Hannah I think a just try my brace because I do not want surgery!

Comment

Not that bad!

Hi! I've had my brace for a year and half, and I only have to wear it at night now. Only the first few nights are uncomfortable as you get used to wearing the brace, especially because during the night may be when you wear it the longest. Don't worry about it, because you will soon get used to it, and you won't have any trouble sleeping! I hope you get used to it soon! Good luck!

Comment

Thank You

Thanks soccercrazy17 that makes me feel better. What kind of brace do you wear.

Comment

heyy all,
                        so, sleeping in the brace isn't that bad. once you get used to it, its not even noticeable. but, for the first few nights my orthopedic surgeon told me to go to sleep with it on, and if I woke up and was in pain, to take it off. he said that losing sleep wasn't a good way to start weaning into the brace. also, don't fall asleep with your arm under your brace!!! I did that once, and woke up and my arm was purple! pretty funny story now!
                        Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
                        -Virgel

Comment

When I first wore my boston brace, I actually found that I was more comfortable laying down, that could be just me though. I wouldn't worry about not being able to sleep though, it helps if you lie on your back and I found that I couldn't fall asleep on harder mattresses if I had my brace on, so if you have a hard mattress then like Cat Eyes said, a soft pillow underneath your brace might help.

Good luck!T
                          ~Katie~
                          My name is Katie and I love to Dance especially Ballet. I am 14 years old and after 3 years of the Boston brace, I'm officially brace-free! Great holiday present if I do say so myself

Comment

Going to wear it at school.

Iam soo scared when I wear it to school. I am not to suppose to this week but I am still going to try to see how it would feel like so I wouldn't worry about it. But any advice will any one notice and is it going to be REALLY comfortable?
                            SmileyGirl8
                            T30
                            Got my brace on March 21,2009
                            Age 12
                            <3

Comment

It will be fine

SmileyGirl8- How long have you had your brace for? I finally got my brace! it has been a little over a month. don't worry about wearing it to school. if you wear a boston brace some people can't even tell that your wearing it! just be careful the boston brace takes a toll on your clothes!

Comment

Working...
                              X