12 year old daughter - left curve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    ... A very good reason to do nothing now is that there is no good evidence braces work.
    Becsmom, I agree with Sharon in general, and bracing a 44° high thoracic curve (at Risser 2 or 3) *especially* doesn't sound that beneficial. At 44°, I suspect the curve is probably going to do what it's going to do - with or without bracing ...

Of course, you have to decide what's best based on the data there is - and your own feelings.

It sounds like your daughter's curve is well balanced, and it IS amazing how well one can hide. Mine was ±53° at surgery, and everyone who saw my x-rays (including people who'd seen me in a swimsuit) were stunned. I had compensatory cervical and lumbar curves.

I do find it extremely contradictory the ortho told you bracing a high curve like hers and bracing at her Risser would likely be ineffective, but then said it's "risky to do nothing". There are no other treatment choices (I hope she needs neither) an ortho would prescribe under the scenario outside bracing and surgery: I'd have to push him some more on that. What exactly is he saying?

You said you're "thinking of getting the brace" ... which brace? You've mentioned Spinecor a few times: Spinecor is not well suited for her type of curve and maturity.

If he's saying the upper end of her curve is likely too high to respond to bracing, I'd think if he DID brace, she'd require a TLSO with superstructure (i.e., a Milwaukee). They're commonly recommended for curves that apex at or above T9 (to get an idea where this falls, the pre-op x-ray in my sig shows my curve ... with an apex at T9). Is he suggesting night bracing with a Milwaukee? I can't say that I've ever heard of one used like that under her circumstances.

There are bending braces specifically made for night time wear (the Providence and Charleston), that apply extra force against the curves, but again ... with a higher apex curve, her current degree and skeletal maturity, I don't know how effective they'd be.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do ...

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

call her

Hello,

you have a physiotherapist in your area she can help you with education and Schroth therapy exercises, you can find her at scoliosisPT.

Good luck, A

Comment

Originally posted by BecsMom View Post
        Should I request an MRI?

Another question I have is about heredity. I was told years ago I have mild scoliosis (no idea the degree) and my 14 year old son has 11 degree scoliosis/ kyphosis (at least thats what it was last year). Should I have my 16 year old daughter checked too?
        I would go with your doctors recommendation on the MRI. Should surgury become a reality, they will definitely need one.

My scoliosis was from a birth defect, but every year I made my son bend over and touch his toes, looked at his back and checked to see if his shoulders and hips were even. Then, starting at age 6 thru 16, I requested the GP to check him out at his yearly physicals.

Cynthia

Comment

Working...
        X