No announcement yet.

Dissapointing Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has two titanium rods from t1-t12. Her problem now is trunk shifting. I guess 25 years does make a big difference. I will remind her of that.

Sharon

Comment

I am sorry to hear of Katelyn's news. It's very disappointing. My daughter is in a similar situation. About five months after surgery (T5-T12), her trunk began to shift. Not dramatically, but enough to warrant concern. She is in a brace now and we are hoping for the best--that it will hold the curve until she is done growing. I hope that is the case for Katelyn, too.

Comment

Hi Olivias mom,

I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having the same problem. My daughter had not heard of anyone with this situation and having to wear the brace again so its good to know she's not the only one. I will say that Katelyns back already seems to look better when she takes the brace off. She wears it 23 hours each day. The brace man was able to make it much more comfortable than before surgery by trimming off the part that sticks under the arm. Anyway, we hope it works. Her doctor did say this should be a correction, not just a temporary hold. There is, of course, no gaurantee. I hope things go well for ya'll. Let us know how things are progressing or not. Thanks for sharing your story with me.

Sharon
        Last edited by smileyskl; 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Sharon, I just noticed you were on right now. How is Katelyn doing? Is she more accepting of the brace? Did she go back to school? Tracy

Comment

Tracy,

Yes, she is more accepting of the brace since the brace man made it a bit more comfortable and also after her doctor explained to her that this could actually correct (not just stop) this new problem. Her doctor seems to think it may work within 2-4 months and we do seem to notice some improvement I just hope it holds.

Katelyn is homeschooled so she has pretty much been back in school since she got home from the hospital. I bet it is tough to go back after being home for a while. Going half days should help. Thanks for asking. I am glad to hear you all are doing well. Keep me posted on the progress

Sharon

Comment

Hi,

My son developed a significant trunk shift after VBS. He went back into a TLSO full time for about 8 months, and it helped significantly. We were told that bracing is MUCH more effective when it comes to correcting a trunk shift. We had been told it would take about 4-6 months, and it did take a little longer - but we are VERY happy that it worked. This correction has made a huge difference in the way his back looks.

-Cara

PS There is more discussion about this topic here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ferrerid=14421
              Last edited by nate03; 03-11-2009, 05:31 AM. Reason: Add link to other posts
              Cara, Mom to Nathan
              Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
              Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
              VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
              Dr. Hresko
              40 Degrees before VBS
              11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Working...
              X