kyphosis-worried parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyphosis-worried parent

My 12 year old daughter was just diagnoised with kyposis, with a 77 degree curve, we are taking her for a second opinion, but surgery looks evident. I was wondering if anybody else has had a child go through this type of surgery and what was the outcome? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yep - lots of parents have been in your shoes. You are not alone. Mary Lou and others can share their experiences as parents of teenage girls facing surgery for kyphosis. Does your daughter have Scheuermann's Kyphosis? Does she have any other medical condition that may influence treatment for kyphosis? I think you are doing the right thing in getting a second (or more) opinion on treatment recommendations. Best wishes.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Carmell!

My daughter was 13 y.o. when she had surgery to correct both her Kyphosis and Scoliosis. She is fused from T3-L2 and is now 4 years post-op. Her Kyphosis was about 72* before surgery and corrected down to about 33*.

I'm happy to hear that you are getting at least one other opinion. Since your daughter is probably facing surgery, you need to find a doctor that both you and your daughter trust. Your doctor needs to be a pediatric orthopedic who specializes in Scoliosis and/or Kyphosis. Trust your instincts.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. Send me a private message if you want my e-mail address.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks for the info, We have an appointment at hershey children hospital on March 16th. My older daughter has had surgery there before. We like it. I think we would feel more comfortable having an peds docter do the surgery. I would like your e-mail, I am sure I will have many questions as this process continues. She has no other medical conditions, and I do believe that it is Scheuermann's Kyphosis, Thanks
        Last edited by louearl; 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Look for my e-mail. Sounds like we have a lot in common. I live in PA and my daughter had her surgery for Kyposis and Scoliosis at Hershey as well. My daughter and I run a support group out of that hospital as well.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
          X