Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously how is your pain after surgical recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously how is your pain after surgical recovery?

I have been trying to put it off, but I'm sick of living in pain. I am considering getting into the surgeon, but only want to do it if it will really relieve my pain.

So, was your pain improved, eliminated, or not improved at all.
    Last edited by LeeJo; 02-12-2009, 04:40 PM.
    35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

I am 6 years post a very complicated surgery for very severe triple curves--and I have absolutely no pain.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I am almost 4 months post-op, and my lower back pain, as well as the pain down my thigh is totally gone. I haven't had that old familiar gnawing pain in my lower back since before surgery. Prior to surgery, I'd get that pain even if I stood around in one position too long, or walked too long.

Good luck with your appointment. Like you, after wearing a brace, I was 'cleared' at 23 years of age, and I thought I was good for life. Let us know what happens.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I think Im the wrong person to talk to at this point, as Im only 4 weeks post op,but from what Im told from all of my Scoli friends here, is that it takes time to recover & heal & that the pain of the surgery eventually goes away. I can tell you that like Debbe, I dont have the pain I had in my lower back or the sharp shooting pain in the upper part. My pain now only consists of my entire back, muscles & all, moving into place, trying to figure out what I did to them! They are pi$$ed I guess & stuborn! Gotta keep your sense of humor during all this or else Id go bonkers!!!!!!!!!!
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Don't get me wrong--I certainly did have surgical pain, but the old lower back and leg pain that pushed me into having the surgery was gone immediately.

Comment

I /we knew that..I was just saying that the old lower back pain & the stabbling shooting pain in my upper is gone......thank goodness.....just explaining about the surgical pain.....thats the fun stuff, right?!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I had 2 surgeries a month apart. 1st Oct. 8th, second Nov.10th of 2008. The pain I had for years before is totally gone. I am still healing and feel that but it has been totally successful. I was ironing up a storm last night and realized after about the 10th pair of slacks that I could hardly iron a shirt and pair of slacks before without extreme discomfort. It is just wonderful to be pain free after years of suffering.
              Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
              Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
              Age 54
              T10 to Sacrum
              Curve 65 degrees
              Very straight now!!!

Comment

The minute I woke up from surgery I knew the pain was different. It wasn't the pain that forced me into surgery it was surgery pain and that I knew was going to go away.

I am almost 3 years post op and pain free. I just got back from vacation and danced EVERY night, 4 nights straight in 4" heels! NO BACK PAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                  The minute I woke up from surgery I knew the pain was different. It wasn't the pain that forced me into surgery it was surgery pain and that I knew was going to go away.

I am almost 3 years post op and pain free. I just got back from vacation and danced EVERY night, 4 nights straight in 4" heels! NO BACK PAIN!
                  Suzy,

I BOW to you--what a woman! I am looking forward to the same I"m glad you had such fun on vacation.

Comment

No 4-inch heels for me , but the severe grinding ache I used to have in the middle of my back, where the curve started to rotate, is gone. I can also stand and sit for much longer periods of time, and have recently gotten into cooking big meals for my family simply because I am able to for the first time in many years. I'm a bookworm and never used to be able to stand and browse in a bookstore or library, and now I can.

Of course the surgery hurts -- but as others have said, knowing that it will improve makes it bearable.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm almost 9 months post-op and I have the same pain I had pre-op and then some.
                      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                      2003- 33 degrees
                      2005- 37 degrees
                      2006- 44 degrees
                      May 2007- 47 degrees
                      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                      Fused T1 to L2
                      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I'm pain-free 12 weeks post-op!

I feel like I've had a miraculous recovery! I'm so happy that I had the surgery. At 6 weeks, I was off all pain meds, driving, and working part time. I even clipped my own toenails (I did a lot of yoga before surgery, so that has made me very flexible, which has definitely helped in recovery). At 12 weeks, I can do all housework, some yoga poses, lots of walking, etc.

I don't have back pain anymore. The only thing I have is muscle spasms sometimes (I also have MS, so that makes my muscles more prone to spasms), and some numbness on my left hip which is probably nerve damage from the surgery. That's common, and I feel like it's getting better. Most people who get nerve damage find that it takes several months (or even a year) to heal, but that it does heal.

Everyone's experience is different, but mine has turned out VERY positive! I hope that yours turns out as well as mine did!

Lisa
                        Lisa MS
                        age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                        Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                        Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                        Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

My experience mimics Suzy's ... including the 4" heels (okay, sometimes 5" for me ... Suzygirl's a LOT taller!).

The second I woke up (and I popped out of anesthesia, seriously), the pain I had between my shoulder blades for 30 years was GONE.

Did I feel stiff? Sure. Do I have some pain now? Yeah ... especially when I throw myself down on the ground under a tag ;-). I haven't exactly babied myself in recovery - LOL.

Would I, personally, do it again in a heartbeat? Absolutely.

Regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
                            I had 2 surgeries a month apart. 1st Oct. 8th, second Nov.10th of 2008. The pain I had for years before is totally gone. I am still healing and feel that but it has been totally successful. I was ironing up a storm last night and realized after about the 10th pair of slacks that I could hardly iron a shirt and pair of slacks before without extreme discomfort. It is just wonderful to be pain free after years of suffering.
                            Nancy Joy,

Who ever thought there'd be such hidden joy in ironing? LOL!

Sooooo glad to hear you're doing well! ;-).

Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

briarrose-- I'm sorry to hear of your pain, but appreciate hearing a little of "the other side of the story"... It's wonderful that so many of you are pain free-- "YAY! " but that isn't always the case.

I know that as I read through both scoli books by Dave Wolpert and Michael Neuwirth, there was no promise of pain alleviation... so I didn't know what I would end up with. Mine is just mostly tightness, tenderness and aching and may eventually go away-- or not. It is different from what I had before surgery and I prefer this.

I believe most of our surgeons would say that the surgery is intended to stabilize our spines and provide some correction-- and hopefully decrease pain. But that part is never promised. Please feel free to correct me if you've heard otherwise.

About HEELS-- I'm glad wearing heels isn't a biggie to me! For some reason wearing any kind of heels makes my hips hurt and feel out of alignment or something. And that started well before my surgery.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X