Update on my Kaitlyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my Kaitlyn

Hi all, we got to childrens this morning at 6am. Kaitlyn had bloodwork and urine sample. Poor thing got butterflies in her stomach, & emptied her bowels 3x. I told her better now, than later! Hopefully, she felt better. She was still very nervous and they gave her something to calm her . Thank goodness, it worked! To bad anesthes. didn't have any samples for mom & dad. The waiting for her to go in and her leaving was the hardest part! I couldn't even call my mom. The minute I started to think about it, I got very emotional. She went in at 8am, and they updated us 1hr ago. They were finishing the screws and putting in the rods. All is going well. It's a long wait, thats for sure. It's going on 6hrs now. I'm a little better now. It is definitly easier to write whats going on, then talking to someone personally. I did call my mom finally when I gained my composure. Its funny how you go through highs and lows with your emotions. Your really excited to get that update, but then you get a little nervous. I get tears of relief, that it's moving along. I know Kaitlyn is in great hands! The dr. was very confident this morning. Just wanted to post. to stay busy. I'll go back to waiting some more.......
    Tracy

Yes, Tracy, the waiting is the absolute worst. Pretty quickly you'll be on the "other side". Make sure you get lots of rest when you can. Keep hydrated and EAT!
    Thinking of you and Kaitlyn.
    Bethany

Comment

Hugs!

Let us know how things are now when you get the chance. I'm assuming at this point she is out of surgery and in PICU.
      Becky
      Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
      Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Whew.......

Thanks Bethany & Becky for the support. It has been the longest day of my life! Kaitlyn ended up going in at 8am, and we got to see her at 3:30pm. The crew did a great job of updating us every 1-2hrs. The actual surgery was about 6 hrs.(that was my guess going into this) I can't get over how strong she was! We made it to the room around 5:50, which took quite a while because there weren't any rooms available?! Can you believe it? Anyway, she is trying to rest, which isn't very easy. She does much better laying on her side. The poor thing also really wants to drink, but they don't want any food or water. (until her stomach wakes up) She did con the nurse into ice chips which helps. I think shes getting to feel more like herself, because she told the nurses she really wants to sleep now, and informed them she doesn't want to be woke up! Leave it to Kaitlyn to tell it like it is. I'm signing off, pretty tired. Thanks again! Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by alwayzsomethin' View Post
          Thanks Bethany & Becky for the support. It has been the longest day of my life! Kaitlyn ended up going in at 8am, and we got to see her at 3:30pm. The crew did a great job of updating us every 1-2hrs. The actual surgery was about 6 hrs.(that was my guess going into this) I can't get over how strong she was! We made it to the room around 5:50, which took quite a while because there weren't any rooms available?! Can you believe it? Anyway, she is trying to rest, which isn't very easy. She does much better laying on her side. The poor thing also really wants to drink, but they don't want any food or water. (until her stomach wakes up) She did con the nurse into ice chips which helps. I think shes getting to feel more like herself, because she told the nurses she really wants to sleep now, and informed them she doesn't want to be woke up! Leave it to Kaitlyn to tell it like it is. I'm signing off, pretty tired. Thanks again! Tracy
          Hooray for you "being on the other side"!

I'm glad it went well for you all!

Keep us posted when you can!

Marian

Comment

That's wonderful that she is done with surgery.

I hope the recovery is fast and smooth.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Tracy,

Welcome to the other side! It sounds like things are going very well. I pray it stays that way.

Like Bethany told you, eat, sleep and stay hydrated!

You said Kaitlyn is most comfortable on her side--make sure you turn her to the other side once in a while. You don't want her getting a bed sore.

Keep us posted.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Update

Hi! Tracy!! I am so glad everything went well for Kaitlyn. The waiting was the very hard for me also. I had all those emotions too plus severe stomach cramps just from nerves. I will tell you that here we on our third day post -op and she has still not had or wanted any food. She did get a popsicle yesterday which she really enjoyed. The first two days was just ice for her too. She didn't mind because she is not hungry and certainly doesn't want to throw up. She has stood once and walked a few steps. She had her surgical tube removed and today she is supposed to walk some more. They cut back on the pain med and even though she didn't cry but a couple of times the first couple of days she is crying now with the pain. She has also kept 101.9 fever which I am told is to be expected. I know this will pass but it is actually a little harder now than right at first (not to scare you but just prepare you) The good thing is she is excited her back is straight and that she seems taller. She is excited about maybe going home in a couple of days and I am scared to go home. I know I will make it through though.. Please give us another update when you get a chance. We are thinking about ya'll. Tell her that Katelyn in Mississippi is thinking about her too - and you will make it just like we are. Hugs!!

Sharon

Comment

Well we made it through the night. The nurses all say shes doing really well. I don't think shes doing too badly, but I don't have anything to compare her to. She ends up getting pretty sore in the same position, so she wants to be moved often. Which I guess is a good thing, although that makes the pain more severe for a bit. She mostly says it hurts on her lower back. The nurse said she is at a lower dose in her PCA so it can be increased a little. She does have a low grade fever(100*) also.

Hugs back to everyone for your support, its greatly accepted!

Sharon, great to hear Katelyn is up, and w/o the tube. Thats a plus. Kaitlyn sends her hugs back at her Mississippi Buddy!!
                  Tracy

Comment

Sounds like it's all going well--thanks for the updates. Congratulations!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks all for the support!

Hi everyone. We're towards the end of day one, and I'm just now feeling pretty good about "being on the other side." So far Kaitlyns labs are looking great, no blood needed, very mild temp 99-100, and she is actually pretty mobile. We haven't sat up yet, but shes rolling side to side. She had some 7up and a few nibbles of toast. She is trying very hard to get better because she is definatly ready to go home. Hopefully all will keep heading upward!

By the way, her back also looks great, so straight!!! Tracy

Comment

congrats!

So glad to hear all went well. I can only imagine being on the waiting side of it. My husband told it was not fun. Im so glad she is doing well and is being fiesty! Good for her!
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital
                        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Day 2...

We made it through another night. She had some better bouts of sleep last night. She did end up getting a fever, so came the tylenol, blankets off, and cooler room. Shes doing better this am. She was anxiously awaiting to order bfast. She ate a couple bites of eggs, toast and banana. Today will be busy, PT is coming in, and she will get a sponge bath. She can't wait to get up! We constantly need to remind her "little baby steps at a time." She has tendencies to always rush everything! She doesn't understand "slow down & relax".

Lynn, hope all is going good for you. Your curves were about the same as Kaitlyns. And yes, yours and her side of the surgery is quite different from that of "the waiters". She doesn't remember anything, & couldn't believe the surgery was over already!

Take care everyone! Tracy

Comment

Hey Tracy!

That is great that Kaitlyn is eating already. My Katelyn didn't have anything until Thursday (3 days post op) We were able to go home today (a day earlier than expected). She feels much better now that shes home and shes smiling and talking much more. Its getting better each day. I know I would not be doing nearly as good. I guess its because they are young. Hang in there and keep us posted. Hugs.
                            Sharon

Comment

Wow Sharon, Katelyn's home already! Thats super! They told us expect to stay 1 week (Wed. to Wed.) Kaitlyn got a whopper of a belly ache late morning, and got pretty bloated, that kind of set her back. She was extremely agitated at that point. I knew I shouldn't have talked her up. I jinxed?(where's spell check, anyway) her! I should have known-its Friday the 13th! But she got a sponge bath around 3:30 and absolutely perked up from that! She enjoyed the pampering! Plus the moving around helped her belly.
                              PT didn't come today, probably cuz of her being so uncomfortable, but I bet the movements would have helped her sooner! She is laying more on her back this afternoon, and is still really doing most of the turning over by herself! I know the ups and downs are par for the course. She is still bound and determined to get out of the bed and go right home! Tracy

Comment

Working...
                              X