Instrumentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beckymk View Post
    I just feel like a bad mom. I didn't even ask what TYPE of metal they are using. I just figured it was standard and they use, whatever it is they usually use in spinal fusions. Similar to when we got her braces on her teeth, we used the basic ones that were recommended for her teeth. Didn't really think to ask about other kinds.

They *might* have told me but when we found out she was having surgery, they were shoving a bunch of papers at us at the same time as they showed us x-rays of previous people and a model of how it was done. Since, I had already done my research, I 1/2 paid attention since I knew the basic concept.

HMM....maybe I should ask when we go for our pre-op appt. next Friday.
    Becky...

There's really no need to feel inadequate. The choice of surgeon is far more important, and I doubt any of us would want to dictate what type of implants our surgeon should use!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Becky...

There's really no need to feel inadequate. The choice of surgeon is far more important, and I doubt any of us would want to dictate what type of implants our surgeon should use!

Regards,
      Linda
      I agree with Linda--I'm one for TMI. Sometimes, I think I'd rather not know.

Trust your surgeon--he knows what's best!

Marian

Comment

You pick your surgeon who picks the instrumentation.

You can ask why the surgeon uses certain instrumentation but that's about it I think. JMO.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess in my head it never occurred to me because it was more or less -- the surgeon knows what he is doing so he is putting in whatever he feels is necessary.

Then I started reading here and wondered.

I wonder if it's one of those things though that it might be good to know what type he did use for future reference. For example, the MRI stuff. Who knows what the future will hold for my DD, so it might be good to know.

Then again, I got an implant done for a tooth and I haven't got a clue what type of metal was used in my mouth. I just knew they put a screw in, with a post and let the bone heal around it (Hmm...sounds familiar doesn't it? )
          Becky
          Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
          Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Beckymk View Post
            Then I started reading here and wondered.

I wonder if it's one of those things though that it might be good to know what type he did use for future reference. For example, the MRI stuff. Who knows what the future will hold for my DD, so it might be good to know.
            I know I should ask the nurse practitioner about future MRI's as well since the surgeon will be using stainless steel.

Off to find my notebook and write down another question!

Marian

Comment

Hi There:
              I myself have had a Luque Rod. Much more lighter as I have a small body stature. From what I understand, they prefer to use Luque's in wheelchair patients too, but that may have changed since I had surgery in 1982.
              ~ Karen ~

2 Curvatures - 58 degrees before surgery
              1983 - Luque Rod
              1989 - Removal of Luque Rod
              Current Diagnosis:
              * rotoscoliotic deformation
              * endplate sclerosis and osteophytes
              * bilateral formanial narrowing
              * severe hypertrophic osteoarthritis at L3/4
              * osteoarthritis change in the S1 joint

Comment

Hi Miriam,
                I bought a book called Scoliosis Surgery the Definitive Patient's Reference that you can buy from the National Scoliosis Foundation website and it talks about the difference between stainless steel and titanium. It says they both have risks. Titanium rods can have a "metal memory" and over time could revert back to their original shape and stainless steel can cause an allergic reaction if you are allergic to nickel. I think both rarely happen. Emily's dr uses titanium and our second opinion uses stainless steel. Emily is allergic to nickel so I was happy with the titanium. I would recommend the book to anyone. It helped answer a lot of questions and if even gives you questions to ask the Dr. It's geared more towards adults, but it helped us out a bunch. I know I sound like a commercial!
                Becky
                Mom to Emily 14
                Had surgery 5-28-09
                T2 to T11

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Godess View Post
                  Hi There:
                  I myself have had a Luque Rod. Much more lighter as I have a small body stature. From what I understand, they prefer to use Luque's in wheelchair patients too, but that may have changed since I had surgery in 1982.
                  Yes, this has changed a lot since 1982 Luque rods haven't been used for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                    Yes, this has changed a lot since 1982 Luque rods haven't been used for many years.
                    Actually, Moon Goddess is correct. The Luque technique is still used by some surgeons, in some cases of neuromuscular scoliosis. Also, the Luque technique is used extensively in India.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sorry, my apologies Moon Goddess. I tend to assume that treatment is pretty much the same in the UK (where I am) as in the US, and I wrote that very late last night when my brain wasn't too engaged!

Comment

Working...
                      X