Airport question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport question

So have any of you had issues with Titanium rods and going through Airport security? The trip that we put off 2 years beause of my daughter's Scoliosis surgery is finally booked and we are off to Disneyworld next month. But now I'm worried about the airport security and her going through the x-ray thingy. I don't have a letter from our doctor about her surgery - should I get one? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

Karen

I don't think it would be a problem because that is one of the things I've read as a FAQ. However, I can't find it in my Spine Teaching folder I was given. I may have just read it on the web so I don't know how accurate it is. You might want to call the surgeon's office & ask.

Can I just say I'm jealous of you with Disney World. Woo Hoo! I love that place and have not been able to go since 2005. I was hoping for 2009 but that isn't happening, so we are looking at 2010!

I hope you have a fantastic time.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Hi Karen,
      my son's doctor said that sometimes the detectors go off and sometimes they don't. (not very encouraging if you think in terms of security). Anyhow, he told us doctor's notes are not necessary (and his comment was "anyone can get a note"). He told us to let Jesse pass thru and if he sets it off to explain to security. They will probably pull him aside (maybe even to a side room) and use the wand over his spine. Unfortunately, with a daughter, you can't just lift her shirt to show her scar.
      You may want to give yourself a little extra time.
      Bethany

Comment

Please do not worry about airport detectors!!!

I go abroad every year. Initially, the detectors never went off. The detectors, IMHO, are more sensitive now and always go off for me.

No big deal! The screeners are not interested in any notes from doctors. I just let them pat my back and they can clearly feel that I do not have any: rifles, grenades, AK 47s, knives etc. on my back. They actually act a little embarrassed. So many people have had this surgery over the years-along with any manner of metal implants, artificial hips, knees etc that we are not as unique as we think.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

We have travelled many times coast to coast, including to Florida, NY, NJ, MI, WA and Alexander has never set off the alarms since his surgery. He has stainless steel rods though so I don't know if that makes a difference. I thought that titanium was less likely to set off scanners, but I'm not totally sure.

Have a great time though and try not to worry about the hardware. The airport people can see her scar if necessary.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Many posts, same topic ...

http://scoliosis.org/forum/showthrea...rport+security

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you everyone! I won't worry anymore..

Comment

Karen,
                Both my daughters have rods and one set off the detectors and one didn't. The screener told her if she stayed in the middle of the scanner she would be less likely to set it off. It did work. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen40 View Post
                  So have any of you had issues with Titanium rods and going through Airport security? The trip that we put off 2 years beause of my daughter's Scoliosis surgery is finally booked and we are off to Disneyworld next month. But now I'm worried about the airport security and her going through the x-ray thingy. I don't have a letter from our doctor about her surgery - should I get one? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

Karen
                  I just wanted to follow up to my old question. We flew from Spokane to Orlando in March. When going through the screening in Spokane, she did set off the detectors and required some extra screening before they let her through. We didn't bother with a letter from the surgeon and they didn't really question her more - she just told them that she had titanium rods in her back because of Scoliosis surgery and they were fine with that. She hardly looks like a terrorist though.. ;-) Coming back from Orlando, however, she got through without a single beep. Ironic, since on the way back, they had an "orange alert" whereas on the way there, there wasn't one...

Comment

Hi Karen...

I used to set off alarms about half the time, until 9/11, when it stopped. I'm almost positive that it's because of the amount of metal in my watch, earrings, bra, and most importantly, shoes.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yeh - they had us take off our shoes and she doesn't wear a watch or jewelry so I still found it interesting that it set it off at one security point and not another. Maybe some are more sensitive than others..

Comment

i have cobalt chrome rods and titanium screws and have not set off any metal detectors.

Comment

Working...
                        X