Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the worst/funniest things that have happened to you because of scoli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember dancing with a date and he called my hump a "handle"--yes it was that large.

Clothing was always frustrating. Forget about belts, skirts and knits which looked ridiculous.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
      I remember dancing with a date and he called my hump a "handle"--yes it was that large.

Clothing was always frustrating. Forget about belts, skirts and knits which looked ridiculous.
      Karen,

I hope you smacked him for that comment!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Oh yes, trying to find clothes that don't cling to your "hump"! I try so hard to hide my back. So of course, no wearing stretchy tops or dresses. And thank goodness when tops came out recently with the hood attached! That was my dream come true! I have so many tops with the hoody attached, as well as wearing hooded sweatshirts, but you can't wear those here in California in warm weather! And then there's the pant leg problem when my left leg is always a bit longer. I look at all those women out there who can wear anything they want, and I feel that I have to "hide" in my clothes. And wearing a swimsuit? What does anyone out there do in that case? I can't wear swimsuits that have just the simple shoulder straps because one side slips off, so I have to buy a suit that criss-crosses over the back. And then I have to hide in a baggy t-shirt until I'm just ready to get in the pool so no one can see my back. Uggggggh.
        Laurie
        Age 57
        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
        Dr Munish Gupta
        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

When I was younger I would wear a bikini and I had long straight hair to my waist to hid my back. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to put on a bathing suit.
          dd
          57 yr. old female
          Pembroke Pines, FL
          No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
          2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Working...
          X