Mamograms post-fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mamograms post-fusion

it's getting to be that time of year I go for my yearly checkup, and I am dreading the thought of a mamogram. I hate them all the time anyway, but with a fused spine, I can't imagine how it will work. They always get me in those contorted positions and YANK! I'm afraid they'll yank something out of place in my spine.

I'd love to hear any post-fusion mamogram experiences.

Thanks!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Had my first one post-op in October of this year with no problems - and I even have to get a "bonus" series yearly because of my implants. Yay. Almost more fun than I can stand.

The techs don't *have* to get you into those contorted positions (okay ... AS contorted - LOL): A good tech can lower and adjust the plates on the machine and make things a whole lot more comfortable.

If you're not able to stand flat-footed (that oh-so-lovely "dangling" by your boob sensation), the tech simply needs to adjust the plate height. Request they do so, and don't take "sorry ... it's the way it has to be done" for an answer if they're hurting you (too high plates/too tightly cranked plates, OR the body positioning).

Be sure and tell them you had surgery not long ago - and that you can't bend or twist (whether you can or not). I guarantee they'll be a lot more gentle with you.

No worries, Debbe ... it'll be fine!

Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I'll echo what Pam said. I've had two of them now, with no problems. The first was at about 3 months post-op, then a year later. It will be ok-- and they can and will make adjustments so it's not too hard on you. Just be sure to explain.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks so much girls. As always, I worry about the important things 3 months post op Susie, that's something! BY time I go it will be 5 or 6 months.

Thanks to you both! And don't worry I will be SURE to tell them.

Comment

What a coincidence!!! I had a mammo today! While it wasn't fun, it wasn't terrible. They have the digital ones now which hurt less. Just speak up if it becomes too uncomfortable for you. It's the tech's job to do it without killing you.. plus there are feedback forms to fill out afterwards, so they want to be as nice as they can...lol. Good luck deb... if i can do it, you can too.

Comment

I have had a couple since the surgery and to tell you the truth they were easier than pre surgery ones. Before surgery, they always had a hard time getting the right side because of the curve and twisting of the spine and now no problems what so ever.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

Good discussion point. I am scheduled for mine three months after surgery.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

LOL! Pam! "Dangling by your boob"! You are exactly right, that's what it feels like, although I never heard it put so succinctly. You made my evening.

I had my mammogram a couple months ago, and "dangled" just fine. But was glad to have it over with, as always.
                Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by trishthedish View Post
                  LOL! Pam! "Dangling by your boob"! You are exactly right, that's what it feels like, although I never heard it put so succinctly. You made my evening.

I had my mammogram a couple months ago, and "dangled" just fine. But was glad to have it over with, as always.
                  I'll be thinking of you girls when I'm "dangling" next time. Oh what JOY!!

Comment

Working...
                  X