Scoliosis SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis SOS

I thought some of you on this forum might be interested to watch this recent programme aired in the UK.The Suffolk "Scoliosis SOS" clinic claims to be the only one of its kind in the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...st_04_02_2009/
    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

We can't see it in the US, unfortunately. I get a notice that it can't be viewed outside the UK.

SociosisSOS isn't the only source of Schroth treatment in the UK. See:

http://www.scoliosisinlondon.co.uk/index.html

Also, Deborah Goodall, who is very knowledgeable about Schroth (and, I believe, trained in the system) is a PT at Rehabilitation services, Ealing Hospital, Uxbridge Road, Southall, London, UB1 3HW

Comment

Scoliosis SOS doesn't teach Schroth, but has devised its own exercises "based on" Schroth and other methods. They call their method 'Scoliogold'. I don't know who it was who designed this method, but the clinic now certifies its own staff and they don't go for Schroth training in Europe. Hans Weiss has distanced himself from this clinic as they don't teach Schroth.

It's good to see that physios are learning about the Schroth Method here in the UK though. I know that Debbie Goodall (who used to work at Scoliosis SOS, and subsequently trained in Europe) is working to bring it into the NHS, but the last time I spoke to her she was being hampered by the fact that there are no clinical trials. She did however say that she was able to incorporate the exercises and teach them in her work as an NHS physio, which is great news She told me that Schroth cannot change the shape of a person's spine, but exercises can build up muscles to produce a more pleasing cosmetic shape, as well as reducing pain and teaching the patient to breathe more easily. That sounds very honest, and very encouraging.
      Last edited by tonibunny; 02-06-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        It's good to see that physios are learning about the Schroth Method here in the UK though. I know that Debbie Goodall (who used to work at Scoliosis SOS, and subsequently trained in Europe) is working to bring it into the NHS, but the last time I spoke to her she was being hampered by the fact that there are no clinical trials. She did however say that she was able to incorporate the exercises and teach them in her work as an NHS physio, which is great news She told me that Schroth cannot change the shape of a person's spine, but exercises can build up muscles to produce a more pleasing cosmetic shape, as well as reducing pain and teaching the patient to breathe more easily. That sounds very honest, and very encouraging.
        Indeed.

Just like there are honest chiros, there are honest Schroth types who scale their claims to the evidence and don't promise the moon to desperate people.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X