Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic reaction to brace t-shirts

Hi,

My daughter has gone full-time on her brace as of about a month ago, and twice she has developed a rash on her torso only in the area of the brace. It is itchy, red and bumpy, and seems to respond fairly rapidly to oral benedryl and topical cortisone spray; i.e., it seems to be an allergic reaction. She wears KnitRite seamless shirts (which we got with the brace), and which she wore with no problem when she was just wearing the brace at night, but now I am suspecting she is sensitive to them with prolonged wear. Has anyone else had this problem and have any suggestions/advice?

Thanks
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

My daughter had the same problem with the shirt we ordered from Boston Brace Co. She wore it once, broke out in itchy bumps, and in the trash it went.
    She wears thin fitted cotton tank tops and they work work well for her. And, they are inexpensive compared to the brace tanks. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Bas2102,

Does your daughter just wear white tops, or colored as well? I was wondering if the dyes in colored shirts might irritate as well, although shirts are so color-fast now.

Thanks
      mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

heat rash vs allergy

Hi Chris,

Leah had some of the same skin problems that you mentioned under her brace shirts. She wore both kinds, the Boston T and the KnitRites. Our orthotist saw some of the rash (which was intermittent) and told me it was heat rash. He didn't really have any suggestions, it just seems to come with the territory.

We never tried anything cotton because we couldn't find any cotton shirts that were seamless and small enough. Hopefully the cotton ones will help Gillian.

p.s. great correction! I know you're thrilled.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

My daughter wears white and colored. The dyes do not bother her. I think the brace tank bothered her because the material didn't breath-giving her what was probably heat rash.

Her tanks have seams, but they do not seem to bother her (she wears a Cheneau brace). We get adult x-small at Old Navy mostly-the tanks that are very thin. We got them last summer, but they probably still have them. I hope you find something that works.

brooke

Comment

Thanks both of you for the feedback. Because it's intermittent, heat rash makes sense. I guess it doesn't necessarily take too much to get it going but I'll keep an eye on what she's done on days she gets the rash. It was relatively warm yesterday and she had PE and went riding in her brace. I actually ordered a couple of camis from Old Navy to try, and a couple of tanks from Jockey. She has a couple thin short sleeve shirts from ON that she sometimes sleeps in if we are out of brace tees, and the seams don't seem to bother her. If this is what it's like in winter, I can't wait for summer. Ah, well...
            mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Working...
            X