X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From A Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and hope I don't mess-up.

Last Friday I was diagnosed with Scoliosis. That completely shocked me, as I wasn't at the Pain Doctor's office for that; I was, however, there for evaluation for the pain I've had in my stomach and left leg and lower back - 24/7 since July. LONG story! Been to every doctor, and the one we saw on Friday is a Pain Management Dr. He prescribed Neurotin [sp?]. I haven't taken it as yet; I've been taking one Vicodin every 4-6 hours. I'm a little afraid to take Neurotin.

Yes, hard to believe that a 61 year old woman is afraid to take a medication. But, my doctor who I saw for over 33 years is gone since a year ago. I have no one to really confide in/with in the medical profession any longer.

I will be seeing a neurologist soon for comlete evaluation, I hope!

Have any of you taken Neurotin? And, what does it do to you?

Thanks in advance.

Babs

Babs

Hi Babs,

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of information here.

I have been taking Neurontin for almost a year now for nerve pain in my legs, mostly my right leg. In the beginning it made me very sleepy but I guess my body has acclimated to it, so I really don't have any adverse side effects. It does make some people goofy, but I haven't had that problem, at least no more than usual. I would rather take Neurontin than Vicodin which makes me nauseous. I hope you find some relief for your pain.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Neurontin-not addicting

While recovering from surgery, as my nerves "woke-up" the nerve pain was not relieved at all by narcotics. Neurontin was a Godsend. I took the maximum dose-3600mgm- for 6 months then tapered off.(Under pain doc supervision). I am 6 years post scoliosis surgery and I am pain free.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

OH, just to see that word PAIN FREE is something I'm looking
        so forward to! I know, patience is a virtue Guess the older
        I'm getting, the less patience I'm having.

Thanks so much to Sally & Karen for your help and in-put.

Night my new friends

Take care.

Babs

Comment

Working...
        X