Chiropractic after fusion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractic after fusion??

Has anyone gone to a Chiropractor after their fusion? I have a lot of neck pain and I went prior to fusion and it did help to relieve pain. My fusion is T3-L4.

Any suggestions would be great!!
    Adrienne
    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
    1993 Rod Removal
    1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
    2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
    Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Chiro for neck issues-adults and children

Chiro for neck issues can raise some questions. There have been some lawsuits for chiro neck manipulation causing strokes. I had a patient who could no longer swallow after chiro neck manipulation. It caused a stroke. The vertebral arteries which go from the heart to the brain run through the neck vertebrae. The sudden snapping of the neck can release arteriosclerotic plaque into the brain.

Fron the Canadian Stroke Consortium:
    In adults, after chiropractic manipulation, minor complications, such as mild pain or discomfort, slight headache or fatigue, are quite common, but are usually transient (21,37). However, several reports have been published on major neurological complications in adults resulting from cervical manipulation. These complications consist primarily of vertebrobasilar accidents that occur, particularly after cervical rotation to the upper neck is performed (38-40). The published incidence is low; estimates place the risk of injuries due to cervical manipulation in the order of one to four cases per million cervical manipulations (39,41). These figures are considered to be conservative (38,42,43). Part of the reason may be the understandable reluctance of therapists involved in neck manipulations to report adverse effects and the lack of awareness of vertebrobasilar accidents manifesting as other neurological symptoms such as acute neck pain (44,45). A recent Canadian study (5) reviewed malpractice claims for stroke following chiropractic manipulation in adults, and concluded that the risk is only one in 5.85 million manipulations. However, the use of malpractice claims is unlikely to lead to an accurate estimate of the risk of stroke (26).

The Canadian Stroke Consortium is collecting detailed information on cases of dissection of the cervical arteries, which is the most common cause of stroke in patients aged 45 years or younger (44,45). About 25% of all traumatic dissections were associated with neck manipulation (45). None of the patients were younger than 18 years of age. Another recent study that was conducted in Ontario and involved adults younger than 45 years of age (no lower age limit is mentioned), found that patients with vertebrobasilar ischemia are five times more likely than control subjects to have visited a chiropractor within a week of the event (46). Unfortunately, the practitioner cannot reliably assess the risk for any particular patient undergoing manipulation either by using clinical risk factors or by premanipulative positional testing (24,46,47). In children, there has been one case report of vertebrobasilar occlusion in a seven-year-old following gymnastics and repeated chiropractic manipulations of the cervical spine (48). Because chiropractors treat headache and neck pain in children and youth, a history of neck manipulation should be ascertained in any paediatric patient presenting with signs of stroke.

From the US:

In 1992, researchers at the Stanford Stroke Center asked 486 California members of the American Academy of Neurology how many patients they had seen during the previous two years who had suffered a stroke within 24 hours of neck manipulation by a chiropractor. The survey was sponsored by the American Heart Association. A total of 177 neurologists reported treating 56 such patients, all of whom were between the ages of 21 and 60. One patient had died, and 48 were left with permanent neurologic deficits such as slurred speech, inability to arrange words properly, and vertigo (dizziness). The usual cause of the strokes was thought to be a tear between the inner and outer walls of the vertebral arteries, which caused the arterial walls to balloon and block the flow of blood to the brain. Three of the strokes involved tears of the carotid arteries [3]. In 1991, according to circulation figures from Dynamic Chiropractic, California had about 19% of the chiropractors practicing in the United States, which suggests that about 147 cases of stroke each year were seen by neurologists nationwide. Of course, additional cases could have been seen by other doctors who did not respond to the survey.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by augemac View Post
      Has anyone gone to a Chiropractor after their fusion? I have a lot of neck pain and I went prior to fusion and it did help to relieve pain. My fusion is T3-L4.

Any suggestions would be great!!
      First go to a massage therapist before someone who is going to try and manipulate your spine.

You might also look into why you are having neck pain. If its stress, try and figure out what exactly is causing it. If its not stress it may be the way you are sleeping, reading a book, working on your computer, or many other things. If you can figure it out and take steps to avoid pain in the future that will certainly help.

But I would certainly book a few sessions with a massage therapist first and see if that will help.
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

My son sees a chiropractor monthly to try to help with loosening his shoulders. However, there are no jerky movements like I've had done to me at chiropractors. This doctor is also a naturopathic physician and he is very gentle. He uses vibrating instruments/tools on Alexander's neck and certain parts of his back. Alexander likes how it feels and says he feels a little bit looser after the appointments.

I would never take him anywhere for regular jolting, jerky movements as a treatment. You have to be really careful of the discs above and below a fusion. I think that massage, maybe with a Hellerwork practitioner, might help. I took Alexander to a great massage therapist for that kind of treatment until that person had to switch careers due to his own health issues. Alexander loved those massages and if he ever has pain, I'd definitely try to find someone else who at least incorporates Hellerwork into their massages.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I have not had surgery yet but will be on April 15. For the past year I have been working with a chiropractor 3-4 days/week. Like you, I have a lot of trouble with my neck. I asked my ortho doc when I could start seeing the chiropractor after surgery and he said 2-3 weeks. I am concerned that surgery will really upset my neck for awhile. On the other hand, I may get lucky and have no problem at all. I would look for a chiropractor who starts you off with heat therapy for at least 15-20 minutes. The moist heat really helps to loosen up those tight muscles making adjustments easier. Also, after your adjustments he should follow up with muscle stim and ice if needed. I could not have made it through this past year with my chiropractor. I had a baby last Feb 16 and could barely walk let alone carry the baby and walk. He has gotten me at a point where the pain is more tolerable and I am working out again. Take your time in finding a good chiropractor. For me, I was a competitive bodybuilder and believe the body is made to work and move. All my docs (before the ortho surgeon) said to stop working out and rest in bed. The chiropractor that I choose is a competitive bodybuilder and very knowledgeable about how the body moves/works. It was a perfect choice. I cant imagine working with another one. Take care and good luck. Keep us posted.
          Last edited by asccbodypro; 02-04-2009, 06:47 AM.
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi...

About 2-3 years after my surgery (fused T4-L3), I went back to my chiropractor when I had some neck issues. Since then, I see him once or twice a year. He uses the Gonstadt (sp?) method, which is fairly aggressive. It's the only thing that seems to work for me.

Since your fusion starts fairly high, I would personally avoid chiropractic treatment until I was fairly certain the fusion mass was solid.

In the meantime, if you aren't already doing daily range of motion exercises, it would be a good time to start. I do exercises every morning in the shower, and think it's the reason I only rarely have pain. You can find some video demonstrations here:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2...nge-motion.htm

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              He uses the Gonstadt (sp?) method, which is fairly aggressive. It's the only thing that seems to work for me.
              Actually this Chiropractor I have looked at for my son does the Gonstead Method. Which is great! That is great!!
              Adrienne
              1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
              1993 Rod Removal
              Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Hi augemac,

I posted a question similar to this a few months ago and got lots of warnings about going to a chiropractor. I too was having neck pain. One piece of advice I got was to buy a cervical memory foam pillow. I got the Obusforme one and found it did reduce a lot of my neck pain. I've been seeing a physiotherapist for my lower back, and she gave me a few strengthening exercises for my upper body which have also helped with my neck pain, though it does still feel a little stiff at times. Winter weather really doesn't help so I can't wait for spring Hope you find some relief from the next pain.
                - 39 years old
                - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
                - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
                - Harrington rod
                - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
                - New mommy as of February 2011
                - Second child - September 2013
                - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Gonstadt (spelling?)

Linda,

I'm not sure if that's what method my chiropractor uses.....he has a combination of methods. He is generally VERY aggressive with me.....especially my neck. When he adjusts my neck it almost always feels better immediately! I understand it may not be for everyone, but it does work for me....thank goodness

Susan
                  Susan

Comment

SisForSarah,

I have a memory foam pillow for my neck and sometimes it seems I can't sleep without it and other times I can't stand it. Funny how scoliosis can be a little unpredictable from day to day. I do think I need to get some neck strengthen/exercises going. When I lift weights for shoulders and upper back it ALWAYS throws my neck out.....drives me crazy. The Doctor said that might be a whole different problem that may have to be looked into someday. I am hoping not! We shall see I guess.....

Susan
                    Susan

Comment

Well everyone I decided to go through with it! I have been getting massages once every week for the last 3 weeks. Next week I will get a massage done at then shortly right after that I am going to see the chiropractor.

I have to admit I am slightly nervous because it has been so many years. But this week I get evaluated and to see what they can do for me. Tough decision but I am going through with it. Hope for the best!!
                      Adrienne
                      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                      1993 Rod Removal
                      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Working...
                      X