I can't believe this happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe this happened

I have to share an experience that happened to me yesterday. The first Dr. my daughter saw lives close to the town where we live. When my daughter was first diagnosed with soli, we took her to him and he said Boston brace 20 hours a day and he wouldn't even discuss any other options. I have scoliosis and I wore a boston brace for a year and hated every day I wore it. I was very upset and decided to take her to the Dallas/Fort Worth area to look at other options. I let the first Dr. know how I felt and I guess a bad note was put in my daughter's file. To make a long story short, the DFW Dr. was willing to let her try a Charleston Nighttime brace, and then after about a year a Boston for 16 hours a day. She was 11 when this all started and now she is 14. He also didn't mind when I took her to Houston to look at Spinecor. Now her curves have progressed and she is facing surgery. Since the first Dr. lives close, I called to ask him for a second opinion. They said I needed to send all records. I did this and then they called and asked why I sent all her records to them. Then, they said they don't do second opinions. Yeah, right! I really believe that one. Can you believe this?
    Becky

Hi Becky,

I've honestly never heard of any doctor saying they don't do second opinions. That alone would make me leary of this guy. I'm sorry you were treated this way and it does, indeed, sound like they are punishing you for seeking treatment elsewhere.

The first doctor we were seeing was a bit like that. I'm sure she did second opinions; however, we had been seeing her for 3 years, during which time she braced my son 22 hours a day. (By the way, I can totally understand your not wanting to brace your daughter full time with a Boston or any brace.)

Anyway, once we learned of VBS and I told her we were going to Shriners to pursue this option, she pretty much made me feel like we should then sever all ties with her. She did not at that time (this was in 2003) support our decision and she never indicated that she wished to continue to follow David's case locally. It was like we were either her patient exclusively......or not.

On the other hand, I have found that most doctors (including Dr. Betz whom we see at Shriners) are more than happy to give second opinions (or have their patients seek second opinions from other doctors), and to consult with their colleagues on cases, etc.

Hopefully, you will find another doctor in your area that your are comfortable with to get a second (and perhaps a third) opinion. There are a lot of excellent doctors out there and most don't have egos so large that it prevents them from remembering what's really important - the patient!

Best of luck to you.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Becky,

You have every right to have as many opinions as you want! I took my daughter to 5 different doctors (3 of which were at the same hospital) and I never had one of them treat us badly because of our decisions. Dr. Betz was our 4th opinion. The only thing that was ever said about us seeing other doctors was when we went to the 5th doctor. He asked why we were there with him when we were in excellent hands with Dr. Betz! The 5th opinion was the doctor who did Jamie's surgery.

Do what you feel is best for your daughter.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Dear Mariaf and Mary Lou,

I feel the same way! As I made the Dr's assistant repeat about four times they don't normally do second opinions, I remembered why I quickly left that office three years ago. I feel like what he is doing is very unprofessional. His website even talks about referrals and consultations. Before I sent her records, his assistant told me that all Dr's should welcome second opinions. I teach public school and we take care and love ALL the children regardless of how we feel about their parents. Unfortunately, he is the only SRS surgeon in our area so I will have to travel for second opinions.
        It sounds like both of your children are doing great! Thanks for letting me vent!
        Becky

Comment

Hi Becky:
          Yes I can believe it, because the same thing happened to me. I requested to my family doc that I would like to see a neurologist on top of the orthopedic surgeon (who BTW is not an expert on scoli), and who I felt wasn't giving me enough answers as to his reasons behind a disc decompression. Anyways, my family doc stated to the neurologist when he referred me that it was a "second opinion." I was refused a visit with the neurologist. Totally against my rights as far as I'm concerned.
          Anyone is entitled to 100 second opinions they so want, its just a matter of locating those professionals, and having your family doc refer you correctly.
          ~ Karen ~

2 Curvatures - 58 degrees before surgery
          1983 - Luque Rod
          1989 - Removal of Luque Rod
          Current Diagnosis:
          * rotoscoliotic deformation
          * endplate sclerosis and osteophytes
          * bilateral formanial narrowing
          * severe hypertrophic osteoarthritis at L3/4
          * osteoarthritis change in the S1 joint

Comment

Working...