back in the saddle again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back in the saddle again

Today was exactly 1 year from the day I was taken down to the hospital by my neighbors. I will never forget that day as long as I live. Pretty scary stuff.

My recovery took a full 365 days for 100% I have been feeling pretty good for a while, and now the afternoon fatigue has subsided. In other words, no more afternoon naps. ( I think I'm going to miss those!!! )

I have committed myself to a very demanding consulting position with a large manufacturing firm. I have been thinking about this for the last 30 days wondering if I can handle it physically. I have been walking around this very large plant for a few weeks now, and made my decision today to go for it. Large plants require quite a bit of walking and I have been doing my walks all day long as fast as possible as a test to check my fatigue and everything is just fine and dandy! I will not sit at a desk all day and if I have to walk, there will be no hesitation.

There is no doubt that walking and using your muscles is key here. The imbalances of musculature after my surgery seem to have equalized quite a bit in the last few months. It is amazing, it really does get better every day.

I used to hum the Beatles song "its getting better every day"
    Now I switched to the Aerosmith song "I'm back in the saddle again"

I am very thankful and now have new beginnings. Also, more appreciation and high value for life. People that have their health usually don't realize how fortunate they are, and yes, I remind them.

Perseverance,faith,adaptability,creativeness, confidence and patience are all needed for success.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

whoo hoo for you!

Ed-- that's terrific! I'm so glad it's working out so well and that you are going for this opportunity. Keep us in the loop with how it goes, as it still may be a little challenge day after day-- but hopefully not. I am sure you will enjoy the mental challenge as well as the physical-- you are a pretty sharp guy...

Congrats on the one year milestone too. I sure remember your x-ray and those wickedly long pelvic screws. That is soooooo amazing.

When I first saw the title to the thread two things popped into my head... first, it was Gene Autrey, not Aerosmith and secondly, that you were really riding, as you've talked with pooka about that from time to time. So it was funny to me that I was wrong on all accounts.

Take care-- and stay in touch when you get busy with work. There are lots of us here rooting for you and we'll want to hear your success story some more. Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Way to go, Ed! Based on my own experience, lots of walking is better than lots of sitting, so it sounds like you'll do great. Also, I'm convinced that we anterior/posterior patients require more than a year to really heal, so you should continue to improve....I know that at 19 months I'm waaaay better than I was at one year post-op. Then again, I'm not a man of steel like you...
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I am so happy for you Ed! I am so glad to hear that one continues to get better and better. I think I've been feeling sorry for myself in some areas thinking this is it. Thank you for reminding me.

Way to go on the new job, especially in this lovely economy. I am so proud of you. I guess this means we won't see as much of you around here. You'll have to remember us once in a while, ok?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Ed,

You are an inspiration you truly are! I have scheduled my surgery for April 15. I really went though a few days of being sick to my stomach and not eating much. I'm definitely feeling much better now. I know I just have to do it. It's so nice to hear from all of those who are recovering the stages that you go through....everyone really is taking back their life's! That is my goal! It just takes a little bit of time. My short term goal right now is to make it up to my surgery date without being a big ole baby.....not to sure on that one but I will try. My husband said he can handle it as long as I can. If I fall apart, he'll fall apart. So I guess we have our plan.....no falling apart lol. Take care and good luck with the job. A job that keeps you moving is always a plus for anyone!
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Your advice to walk, walk, walk, is taken on board. Thanks Ed. All the very best with the new job. In this difficult climate, you are soaring!

Remember to pop in here occasionally to help keep our spirits up, won't you?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Huge accomplishment, Ti Ed, within a life of accomplishment.

I congratulate you.

Eyes on the prize.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

"eyes on the prize"

Its funny how different and unique we all are, and how we all have our own dreams and goals. The main thing here is to have that dream or goal, no matter what it is. It doesn't mean that one has to "conquer the planet" LOL it can be as simple as just being happy.

I was happy before my surgery, even with all the pain. Its all about your mindset.

Scoliosis surgery will not necessarily make you a happier person, it will help some, but basically its all about you. Don't worry about frivolous things, its not worth it. Have faith.

Find what makes you happy, and do it. Its the simple things, NOT determined by "someone else's actions".

Also with our current economic scenario, adjustment and change are always difficult, learn to accept this fact. John D Rockefeller at age 16 took a job during the prelude to the American Civil war, which was during a low economic cycle, and didn't even know what he was getting paid. It took him months to find this job, but he sure proved something. He succeeded by adapting to the current situation, persevering, adjusting mindset and was happy doing it.

He was also happier when he was broke.

Be positive no matter what happens. Ask and you shall receive.

Sharon can type one word, and have me think for a week. "Prize"

You are my brothers and sisters, I'm not going anywhere, except heaven.
                Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Amen to that!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Ed. I totally agree with your basic message-- which is why I just cheered turning 58 (yay, it's great!) and I celebrate my surgery and the great progress I've made-- even though I'm not able to do many of things some of you do and it's taken me longer to get where I am. The Lord has blessed my life in sooooo many ways-- one of which is bringing me into this scoli family here on the forum.

I find enjoyment in many, many ways, mostly the simple, little things. A good book to read, my family, reading a story with the kids at school and seeing how involved and excited they can be when you put all your energy into, right now, folding 250 silver origami cranes (long story, but I'm enjoying it all), and above all, seeing how God is active in my life. I can, without any reservations, say that life is good, even if it's not ache and pain free. But I also know that it too is like a roller coaster ride at times. So when it's a down time, remember the peaks are coming again soon and take heart. Hugs to all of you, Susie
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ed,

You are absolutely right! Not enough people these days have the same optimistic views that you and many of the people on this site have. I am so thankful to have a wonderful husband who has stuck by me through all of this like it was nothing. My 2 older sons are always asking if I need help. I love them all Life is good and it will only keep getting better I need to go warm up now........we've been at a hockey game and I'm freezing and have a sore tailbone...ouch!

Susan
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Ed,

I'm on vacation right now - two long days riding in a car to New Bern, NC.
                      We skidded out of our icy driveway at 18 degrees Friday AM and arrived in New Bern this afternoon to 47 degrees. Tomorrow in the 50's. No ice, no snow - yay! I just wanted to add my congrats to you and your new job. You are one special guy along with many special people on this forum.

Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

"... and have me think for a week."

My father worked for IBM and would bring home these light brownish grayish colored IBM-issued pencils that had their motto, "THINK."

I grew up in a house where independent thinking was a prized virtue.

Today is the tenth anniversary of my father's death. He died on Super Bowl Sunday, a blue moon. I think about him still.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon-I wish you all the best thoughts and memories of your wonderful dad!

Ed-You have a great attitude on recovery. I can totally relate when you say 365 days to recover. I felt it took me even longer like a year & half to get back in the swing of things! One of my songs in late recovery was the Beatles 'Gettin Better' too! That was after there 'Help' song early on!
                          I hardly ever sweat the small stuff anymore. After being thru a surgery like this, it changes your perspective completely. At least it did mine.
                          I have gratitude every day!

ant/post 2006/Dr.Boachie/Kim @ HSS

Comment

Help by Lennon,McCartney,Titaniumed

I changed the lyrics to the song "Help" I didn't hum this song, but if I did, it would go like this;
                            Hope you like it. I think John Lennon would approve.

Help! I need a surgeon,
                            Help! Not just any surgeon,
                            Help! You know I need someone,
                            Help!

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
                            I never needed anybody's help in any way,
                            But now the brace is gone and I'm not so self assured,
                            Now I find I've changed my mind I've opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down,
                            And I do appreciate you straightening me out,
                            Help me get my feet back on the ground,
                            Won't you please please help me?

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
                            My surgery has got me vanished in the haze,
                            But ev'ry now and then I feel so insecure,
                            I know that I just need you like I've never done before.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
                            I never needed anybody's help in any way,
                            But now these days are gone and I'm not so self assured,
                            Now I find I've changed my mind I've opened up the doors.

Help me. Help me. Ooh, ooh, ooh!

lyrics by Lennon,McCartney,Titaniumed
                            Last edited by titaniumed; 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM.

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                            X